Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mine cars!  (Read 1044 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Mine cars!
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:38:00 am »

It'd be really nice to set up tracks and a mine car system for hauling large amounts of stone out of the cave! I think it'd fix the "ogod there are rocks all over the place" problem, and with a little ingenuity, one could set up an automated system to take the cart in and out. Maybe via mechanisms or trained donkeys?

It'd look neat, anyway.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Mine cars!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>It'd be really nice to set up tracks and a mine car system for hauling large amounts of stone out of the cave! I think it'd fix the "ogod there are rocks all over the place" problem, and with a little ingenuity, one could set up an automated system to take the cart in and out. Maybe via mechanisms or trained donkeys?

It'd look neat, anyway.</STRONG>

Agreed, this sounds like a good idea. It would make hauling much more easier.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

Hauling in general could be revamped.  A single dwarf always carries one item, no matter the weight.  It could be a low iron boot, or it could be a magnetite ore stone.  But he's only carrying one!

Instead, give dwarves a carrying limit, or allow them to take a bin to fill up with items from an area, carry the bin back, repeat.  This wouldn't fix stones per se, but mine cars or the like would work.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001658    This same thread was posted earlier today, and at least a few other times in the past few months.   Surely you could've at least put in the effort to look at the forum, or the dev notes, as Toady asks, before posting this?

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

well to be fair, does the dev notes have a search engine?  That thing is awfuly big now.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

I just go to the consolidated dev page and use my browser's "find" function.

The forum search leaves much to be desired, since you have to search each forum individually, but you could at least try searching the suggestions forum.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

The thread in question was on the first page.    The only search function you'd need is eyesight and less effort than posting a new thread on a whim.