Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Idea/challenge: Goblinball!  (Read 4051 times)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
Re: Idea/challenge: Goblinball!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 12:56:42 am »

A possible variant:

There are still two teams, but the field is set up so that the goblins are launched in opposite directions from the other team's goal. The goals themselves are 1 z-level tall, on the same level as the field, wider than the field itself, and are 20+ tiles long. There are 2-3 tiles of magma separating each field from the goal, with fortifications carved around the magma. The contestants are armed with hammers, and the cages are set up along the edges of the field. The point is to try to get the goblins to fly as far as possible before they stop, with points being awarded based on distance. If a goblin blows apart on one of the side walls, then the distance is based on where the torso landed.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 12:59:08 am »

This topic reminds me of that one about harvesting mermaid bones, except less practical and more entertainment oriented.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 01:02:43 am »

Mermaidball, anyone?
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 01:09:41 am »

Can aquatic creatures be sent flying in 4/7 water?

If so, we need a way to do this.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 01:12:07 am »

As a bonus, the blood will flow. All we need are carp and magma and the deathtrap sport shall be complete.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 01:13:56 am »

Can aquatic creatures be sent flying in 4/7 water?

We won't know till someone tries :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 02:50:28 am »

I must say that goblinball is most satisfying.

A couple of design suggestions:

Dont add the channels at the rear of the court if your forges and furnaces are beneath, you can end up with a stunned and mighty annoyed goblin sitting amoungst the furnaces, which can be fun.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2009, 02:18:00 pm »

meh, the weaponsmiths will take care of them, that's what thier there for. besides, the smell of burning goblin flesh in a steel forge is the smell of roast coffee with vanilla in the morning, atleast for the humans. for the dwarves, it is that of dwarven wine laced with vomit and blood. yummy!

and for us droppel gangers of armok, the smell is that of triumph.

but other variations of goblin ball:
kobold ball (discussed)
elf ball (mentioned)
mermaid ball (mentioned)
human ball
dwarven Criminal ball
yanlin ball (just kidding! just kidding! noooo! it's the hammerer! help!)
megabeast ball
rabbit ball
noble ball  ;)
carp ball
dimple dye ball (paint ball!)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 02:19:47 pm »

As a bonus, the blood will flow. All we need are carp and magma and the deathtrap sport shall be complete.

Oh god i just lol'd. hard.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:23 pm »

i just had an idea, we have two teams of 5 each, but one of them should have an axe, and should be placed inside the channel or platform or whatever is the scoring zone, that way wen a goblin falls on the scoring zone the axe weilding dwarf has a chance to cut him in pieces, and each limb should be worth some score, for extra fun you can also put bars or grates in the floor, that way blood can fall below, lets say for example, 20 points per each goblin, 10 extra for each limb you manage to cut, 20 extra if you get to fill the whole zone below the scoring zone with blood!

The Sandman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 08:00:12 pm »

A few insights that might help in this matter.

First, any sport needs an appropriate method of beginning the game.  For humans, it may be a rousing rendition of the national anthem.  For dwarves, however, there is only one appropriate way to start a round of the Sport of Underkings: bringing a noble up before the crowd to speak, and then dropping him into the magma.  When his body disintegrates, the cages open and the game begins.

Second, as with any game of this nature, not all players have the same tasks.  You have two Strikers, armed with hammers, whose goal is to launch goblins as far as possible horizontally.  Then you have two Choppers, armed with axes, whose goal is to launch goblin chunks vertically onto the scoring platforms.  Finally, on each team, you have one Sniper, who will attempt to kill the goblins on the other team's side before they can be launched.

Third, the arena must be properly maintained.  The floor is engraved, the pathway up to the stadium should be lined with alternating sculptures and caged beasts, and there will be accommodations for both dining and festive parties (read: a food stockpile, kitchen and brewery, and dining area laid out with a view of the proceedings, along with a large enough dance hall for dwarven raves.  Preferably illuminated by a magmafall, one being used to feed the arena cleaning system.), along with (once the economy starts) stores for spectators to buy commemorative memorabilia (read: crafts and clothing shops).  And ample seating, preferably in tiers.  If possible, use a glass roof to let a bit of sunlight into the place.  An infirmary for injured athletes would be nice, but not essential.

Fourth, if possible, make some arrangements for interesting fights.  Arrange for the floor to flood with water to allow aquatic fights, throw in exotic enemies, stage ordinary gladiatorial bouts, redirect sieges into the arena, and use kitten disposal as an opportunity to give your athletes some practice.  Also, if it is in fact possible for goblins, elves or humans to breed in captivity, arrange for such to ensure a steady supply of replacements for the games.

Last, but not least, make sure to have fun.  ;)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 09:16:35 pm »

Use [Speed: 1] so the dwarfs hit even the flying gobs and may counter.

Q: Do weapon traps with nothing but hammers fling gobs?

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2009, 11:59:06 am »

Or you could have dwarf tennis: Same as goblinball but there are only two (superdwarvingly strong) players on a court separated by a channel in the middle, and the goblin wears armor.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »

good luck with that without the goblin getting to injured ^^ if you can strap him into a adamantine suit it might work
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2009, 05:00:52 pm »

I have an idea for an awesome water fence in the center of the field. I shall make a side view of the general idea, repeat over the entire length of the middle line.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pump water down into the arena, and pump it back out again with two pumps per input pump alligned to keep a constant layer of water in the middle.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]