Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Combat Uses for Social Skills  (Read 1259 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Uses for Social Skills
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 04:05:51 pm »

I really don't see why liars would be better fighters. You know, dirty fighting is the only kind of fighting that exists. Combat ability is dependent on your ability to deal with groin attacks. If you can't, IE no lying ranks, you'd never have become a good wrestler, shield user etc. The entire thing is based around asshole moves and the blocking thereof

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 04:11:05 pm »

Some of the examples put should work... For example being a great Negotiator should be capable of convincing otherwise bloodthirsty enemies to leave you alone... (though possibly for a price)
-Mind you that Id hardly call it a combat skill anyhow.

Some of these are iffy... Intimidation seems to work by magic in your example... as if the skill somehow alters your appearance.

And some of these are a flat out NO! Liar is about lying... While I could reasonably see it for feigning... I couldn't see it enhancing hitting people in the groin.

Instead why don't we expand the list of social skills to include some that are dirrectly important to combat?

Rhontos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 04:11:54 pm »

Has anyone played Monkey Island at all? Anyone who has played that should know the destructive power of insults.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 04:37:45 pm »

Or Sid Meier's Pirates.

"Chuban!"

I like the intimidation idea especially. Not so sure about the lying section of it. It's worth thinking about, certainly.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: 1 [2]