Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Threaded Optimisation not in Nvidia Control Panel  (Read 2490 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Threaded Optimisation not in Nvidia Control Panel
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:05:24 pm »

Hey thar folks.

I tried disabling this option in my nvidia control panel, as I was told that it would help me run a psuedo-remake of X-Com, AI.

Problem is, its not there.

Heres a picture of my control panel to help clear things up. (I am running on the latest driver.)

It should be 3rd option from the bottom, no?

Thank you in advance for any advise on this issue.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Threaded Optimisation not in Nvidia Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:10:48 pm »

Pretty much, yes, but before we go troubleshooting...

you DO have a multicore processor?

edit: two things I can think of right away, but I'm just guessing here...
1) check in the "view" drop down menu whether "Advanced" is ticked
2) uninstall the driver, reboot, maybe run drivercleaner, just to make sure, then reinstall it. Maybe some leftovers from an older driver prevent the option from being shown properly.

If you don't have a multicore processor, those points are pretty much moot anyway  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:14:02 pm by Puck »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »

Yes... I re-installed it, and got the latest drivers.

'Advanced' is checked... just look at the picture!

Yes, I have a multicore processor, otherwise I would not be having problems with this game.

EDIT: If you really must know, it's a dual core processor, 3.00 ghz each, running on Windows Xp (Although I think I covered that in the OP)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:19:16 pm by woose1 »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20:04 pm »

What processor exactly? (and mobo while were at it)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25:30 pm »

What processor exactly? (and mobo while were at it)
Uh....
Lets see.
The computer brand? Type?
Intel Pentium dual core processor, brand computer; 'Ares'.

I have a Nvidia Ge Force 8600 (I think, might be 8800) if that helps.
There is no licencing on the PC itself, which is not helpfull... (At least Gateway had that.)

Could you clarify on what a 'mobo' is?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »

I meant the product code of the processor. I think you can view it by going to wotsitsname (dont have english windows here)...
Control panel/system. (I acess it via start menu/settings/control panel, then click on the computer symbol named "system", and then, right there on the front page it gives you the processor code. Again, that's a guesstimated translation of the menu options)

How you'd read out the motherboards (mobo) product code ... I dont know  ;D

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:32:24 pm »

How you'd read out the motherboards (mobo) product code ... I dont know  ;D
It has a clear side  :D

Here's a pic. (Sorry about white space.. not sure how to crop that out.  ;D)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:39:05 pm »

Yup, that's what I thought. Afaik the Intel D's arent dual cores, they're just hyper threading thingies.

Here's something:
Quote:Howdy all, fantastic thread! I cant help noticing, however, that I do not have the "Threaded Optimization" option listed in my Nvidia 3d settings. Im using the advanced view of the 177.66 forceware drivers applied to my BFG 8800 GTX running with a Pentium D 3.2ghz dual core proc. Anyone know why I don't have that option?

Answer: Apparently people with Pentium D processors won't see the "Threaded Optimization" in the control panel. Intel owners need a Core2 processor or above to get this option.

So your problem probably lies somewhere else.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:41:27 pm »

Damn.
So i'm bassicly back at square one.
I'm going to go play Black and White 2, or something. *Wanders off and gets drunk*

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:11 pm »

Well, you could start with trying to explain why the game doesnt run in the first place... I mean, I never tried it and don't know much about the quirks of that game, but it should be doable, shouldnt it?

One thing I DO know about the Intel D things is, they produce a lot of heat and draw a lot of power, so you should make sure your case and the PSU is dustfree (especially check the wings of the fans :/). But if that was the problem, the system would lock up and not just ... not run the game.

Either way. top two reasons for computer failure, statistically at least, are heat and not enough power.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 11:25:12 am »

Well, you could start with trying to explain why the game doesnt run in the first place... I mean, I never tried it and don't know much about the quirks of that game, but it should be doable, shouldnt it?

One thing I DO know about the Intel D things is, they produce a lot of heat and draw a lot of power, so you should make sure your case and the PSU is dustfree (especially check the wings of the fans :/). But if that was the problem, the system would lock up and not just ... not run the game.

Either way. top two reasons for computer failure, statistically at least, are heat and not enough power.
Oh don't worry about that....
HurHurHur....

I got 4-5 fans (I think) with a custom venting system, and some sort of super cool.... power... wattage... thingy.....
Anywho i'm fine on that front... I just need to go to the UFO:AI website and see if there has been any issues there.

Whenever I go into 'tactics mode' (Where you actually move your troops and stuff) everything suddenly gets CRAZY LAGGY. But if I go to the menu (Options, etc.) the lag dissapears.