Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarven Way  (Read 1756 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Way
« on: March 02, 2009, 03:03:56 pm »

General thread for all things awesomely Dwarven, maybe even practical in use, but not quite vital, or, you know, nessesary(sp?).

First off: Biodome Highway
1:Make an obsidian mould to the edge of the map, make it multiple z levels tall. (Leave border area that you can't dig away open, however.) Fill it with at least two Zs of water all the way to the edge, somehow, may require extensive plumbing and/or aquifier for infinite water. It MAY NOT fall under 1 z.
2: throw magma over the top of it.
3: Shut down plumbing, smooth out bumps and stuff in the tunnel.
4: ???
5: You have now created a completely roofed over and walled off obsidian tunnel to the border of the map. You can now shut off your fortress from the surface completely while still allowing in traders. A simple moat and drawbridge enable total isolation.
6: Profit for the blood god.

I encourage further ideas and comments on those already present.

but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Way
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »

You got the magma and complexity requirements down, I'll give you that, but this results in less deaths in the long run. You had best add a needlessly painful and bloody way of dealing with the siegers sitting around.

On a related note, what qualities make a project dwarven (besides magma, needless complexity, and swimming pools of blood)?

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:17:21 pm »

On a related note, what qualities make a project dwarven (besides magma, needless complexity, and swimming pools of blood)?
Dead elves?

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 04:42:37 pm »

I would say that to be truly dwarven, it needs to be huge (sort of goes with needless complexity). Also, the swimming pools of blood must be accompanied by horrific mistreatment of the victims too. So not JUST instant death in magma, but perhaps a breaking of both legs first, and then being asked to escape from slowly encroaching magma, then if they make it to the end you shut off the door and watch as they burn to death.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:46:41 pm »

Project "flood the world with lava":
1. Acquire lava
2. Flood world

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:48:10 pm »

3: Fuck the world!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »

I have had this idea for a while, but I'm not sure how to do it. Or if it would even work.

Moving logs from one place to another, lumberjack style. Floating them down a river, or at least flooding the land they are on so that they move with the water.
I'm almost positive it wont work, but it would be pretty nice.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »

3: Fuck the world!
As much fun as this was had in the 2D version, I can only think of one or two examples of this in the 3D version. And I played one of them.

Also shown in that fortress: A fortress inside a magma pipe.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:44:35 pm »

1: Initiate hostile animal breeding program.
2: Release hostile animal zerg rush.
3:  ???
4:Profit!
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:46:03 pm »

You got the magma and complexity requirements down, I'll give you that, but this results in less deaths in the long run. You had best add a needlessly painful and bloody way of dealing with the siegers sitting around.

Remember, this only protects you from the outside.
And it makes you put your guard down.
And if you're a good location hunter, you'll have a pit/chasm and HFS

And as for what makes a project Dwarven, I think you have it all covered, escpet perhaps that it may not be made out of wood unless no other options exist, cold, hard, stone is the norm. Although as you mentioned hot, liquid stone also is very good.
Any other ideas? anyone?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:04:54 pm »

Upside down elf soap pyramids full of magma and containing an enormous obsidian and glass tomb full of masterpiece engravings, statues and coffins. Oh, and a waterfall and caged prisoner-slaves.
And Demons.
And Adamantine gear.
And a giant mural of a megabeast/Bruce Dickinson on the floor.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 01:53:39 am »

First, it's "dwarfen"  ;D

Atleast, it is according to me. "Dwarven" sounds like something the gods-damned elves would come up with.

Secondly, I think dwarfs should wear little charm-sized tools, woven into their beards, that denote what skills/weapons they're familiar with.

Thirdly, I think dwarfs should tattoo the names of all their living relatives on their bellies, and the names of all their known ancestors on their backs, and when a relative dies, they should burn the name off their belly with acid, or scrape it off with a knife, and then have the name moved to their back.

Fourth, instead of forks, I think dwarfs should eat with the same hair picks they use to groom their beards with, cleaning them after every meal with strong alchohol. The hair picks should be carved from a bone of whatever of their dead direct ancestors was the most recent to die, and set-like gems-with the teeth of personally slain enemies.

The picks would be kept hidden in their beards, and only displayed openly at funerals. Dwarfs might own several of these, keeping them all in their beards, or handing them down to children or younger siblings.
For they would be your masters.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 04:41:33 am »

Making a gigantic 3 z-level tall cavern over the entire map, with hills, underground forests, and several reroutings of a cave river twisting through it.
Bonus points if you do this without killing the river creatures, and mod them to multiply.
Then have a siege entrance that forces goblins to move through this.
And then right past the HFS pit...
And then flood the whole thing with magma, except maybe the river itself, so make a gigantic system of bauxite retracting bridges covering the river, and activate them whenever your flood the place.