Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there anyway to find...  (Read 1104 times)

ExiFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is there anyway to find...
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:18:50 am »

Is there anyway to find a starting location with lots of little "Islands" of rock forming really big cliffs aside from lucking out like all heck?  I had found an area back in one of the older versions and loved it (Defenses were crazy fun to do with bridges everywhere) but I lost the data for it at some point and have not been able to find a replacement location for it.  Any help in finding a site like this would be greatly appreciated.  If not I will MAKE one...Although it will probably take the greater part of a week just setting the dig instructions for the topmost layer....Thanks again.

On a slightly related note is there any easier way to find a sort of forested plateau site?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anyway to find...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:28:27 pm »

Search for high savagery and medium elevation I guess.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:55:40 am »

Somewhere, someone explained how to create unusual geological features with the advanced world parameter settings when you make a new world. One of the most useful things I remember is the X an Y variances. High values for X and Y lead to large, contiguous regions like huge mountain ranges. Low values for X and Y would create many smaller land forms spread across the map. Setting X and Y to zero would randomly scatter a land form across the map.

Can anyone back me up on this, or correct my understanding?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:00:24 pm »

Yes, low XY variances make for a noisy map- though the smallest they can be is 1.
Unfortunately, it'll be a lot of long searching if you're going to find what you're looking for.
Can I suggest the Map Painter?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »

Yes, low XY variances make for a noisy map- though the smallest they can be is 1.
Actually, as far as I know, you can bypass the limitations by editing the parameters manually in worldgen.txt
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:41 pm »

Well sure, if you want to break the program.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:01:52 am »

Well sure, if you want to break the program.
Actually, by passing worldgen limitations won't affect stability, unless you go ape-shit on the values you enter. Having more than 800 rivers is a neat thing for an example.

This post might be of interest to the creator of the OP: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30610.msg421056#msg421056