Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to make sieges come earlier?  (Read 981 times)

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to make sieges come earlier?
« on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »

I'd like sieges to come before I get to 80 dwarves... As early as possible, in fact. Is this a moddable situation?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to make sieges come earlier?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:38:19 am »

I'd like sieges to come before I get to 80 dwarves... As early as possible, in fact. Is this a moddable situation?

Should be. Look for the ... [POPULATION_TRIGGER:#] tag. Or at least, I think that is what it is.

Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]

in the entity default. Those are from the elves.

Also, since you will need to gen a new world, you might look into adding more hostile races, such as orks or renamed copies of the goblin entity file (such as evil2, evil3, evil4 etc and giving them different active seasons)

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:56:22 am »

Okay, I've never done any modding before-- if I set the goblin up the same way as that, with all 1s, will the sieges come early? Is there anything else I need to know or change?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:46:41 am »

That should make them come early, and when we say early we mean early, like year two. Mind you, his will only cause sieges if you are at war with the entity this is on, if not, you will get caravans.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:18 am »

Okay, I've never done any modding before-- if I set the goblin up the same way as that, with all 1s, will the sieges come early? Is there anything else I need to know or change?

Yes. Remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag and replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN]. Babysnatching civs are always hostile, but send babysnatchers and ambushes rather than sieges at the beginning. Civs without [CAN_SPEAK] (implied by [INTELLIGENT]) are always hostile and will siege you right away. Be warned that they might also die off in world gen, since they will be fighting everyone forever.

I'd also suggest my orcs (link in the signature) if you want difficult, early sieges.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:15:05 am »

Okay, so I did the things you said but now I seem to be getting goblin caravans, even on a world that was generated before I edited the raws.

I don't really want caravans, obviously, but somehow the goblins seem to have turned friendly. How do I make them aggressive again? At the moment I'm just seizing everything that comes through, hoping they'll get pissed enough for war.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:02:04 am »

Okay, so I did the things you said but now I seem to be getting goblin caravans, even on a world that was generated before I edited the raws.

I don't really want caravans, obviously, but somehow the goblins seem to have turned friendly. How do I make them aggressive again? At the moment I'm just seizing everything that comes through, hoping they'll get pissed enough for war.

You need to make the changes, and then gen a NEW world. Old worlds won't work with the edited entity files, iirc, and definitely won't work if you add any new races.