Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Dragon Killed one of my cats  (Read 892 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Dragon Killed one of my cats
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:17 pm »

Or something like that. I got no struck down messages before he stepped into the cage trap, but he was able to throw quite a few fireballs at a couple of kitties. None of my empty coffins got filled, and all non-pets are work dogs, the Guard Jaguar, or live in the zoo. So he didn't actually kill anybody. The cats are not wounded, and are apparently not on fire.

But he's got a title. The Jade Something or other

I want to tame this dragon and a) replace my Guard Jaguar, or b) sell him.

When I try is he gonna go berserk and start killing my dwarves?

Nick

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dragon Killed one of my cats
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:19:10 pm »

Or something like that. I got no struck down messages before he stepped into the cage trap, but he was able to throw quite a few fireballs at a couple of kitties. None of my empty coffins got filled, and all non-pets are work dogs, the Guard Jaguar, or live in the zoo. So he didn't actually kill anybody. The cats are not wounded, and are apparently not on fire.

But he's got a title. The Jade Something or other

I want to tame this dragon and a) replace my Guard Jaguar, or b) sell him.

When I try is he gonna go berserk and start killing my dwarves?

Nick

Megabeasts almost always have titles from things they killed during historical world generation.

You can't sell him, he'll break free of the cage if you try.

You can tame him and use him as a guard animal. As long as he hasn't killed any dwarves, he won't kill any dwarves after he's tamed.

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:03 pm »

In my experience they sometimes already have titles when they arrive.

At worst; Save, tame, see what happens. If everything burns, Ctrl-alt-del.
Or put the cage inside a airtight room, with a chained kitty in a corner, link cage up to a lever. Tame, then pull the lever, if kitty lives its good news. Otherwise just keep the room sealed shut.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:42:34 pm »

It worked fine. Until the human merchants started taking potshots at my new pet. I wouldn't have minded if there hadn't been collateral damage.

So I savescummed, and let the dragon free far away from the humans.

Nick

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:09:57 am »

I recall seeing something like taht on the forums recently.. a dragon can be an ennemy of a specific faction; so chances are that the humans are of that team and they are "at war" with the dragon.. take a look in his profile.

In the story a tamed dragon attacked a king, because he was of X faction, and the dragon hated that team.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:26:19 am »

How do you look at a Dragon's profile?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:35:12 am »

create a copy of the save file, open it, abandon fortress then go into legends mode and find him in Historical figures, if I recall right.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:21:13 am »

You can tame him and use him as a guard animal. As long as he hasn't killed any dwarves, he won't kill any dwarves after he's tamed.

Well, having tamed dragons can be very helpful in battles/sieges [especially modded dragons, since the vanilla dragons are quite weak], however they tend to breath fire all over the place, so it's pretty much possible that some of your dwarves will catch on fire in the battles.  ;D

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:52:23 pm »

If he kill any dwarfs while hes tame (with fire) will he kill other dwarfs or just act like it never happen?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:08:36 pm »

If he kill any dwarfs while hes tame (with fire) will he kill other dwarfs or just act like it never happen?

Nop, if a tamed&friendly dragon will accidentally kill a dwarf, he will remain friendly nonetheless.  :)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:31:32 pm »

Just so you know, world gen kills willl not prevent taming.  Only kills on your fort's territory.

A dragon saved one of my forts from HFS once.  It was HFS of the amphibious persuasion, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember