Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcement Macros  (Read 1286 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Announcement Macros
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:18 am »

Okay, first, a small suggestion that doesn't really deserve its own thread (a.k.a. We really need a mini-suggestion thread):
There should be a switch so that you can change between seeing flow amounts and the normal liquid tile in-game, preferably switching whenever you pause/unpause. I really don't like looking at the flow amounts, but I find it necessary to have them for some of the projects that I do; it'd be a lot more aesthetically pleasing for me to only have to see the flow amounts when I'm paused or something.

Actual suggestion:
Seeing how in the next version, announcements will be categorized, I'd like to see the ability to create 'macros' for every time a certain announcement is made. For example, say every time you have an announcement of a child being born, you'd like it to create an engraving in your temple to the goddess of fertility honoring the new mother. Or every time a new mayor is elected, he gets his engraving done in the hall of mayors.

I'd imagine the interface would be something like this:
In the 'macros' menu:
-List of all macros
In the 'edit macro' menu:
-Change macro name
-Change announcement trigger
-Set Work Orders or Engraving
-Set applicable workshop or designate target area (in the case of engraving)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement Macros
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:14:53 am »

In a normal game, I'd expect the player to do that manually. But it does open interesting perspectives for fortresses that are left to their own devices. Common randomized traditions may be implemented in AI fortresses too.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:20:30 am »

I do believe that this looks like the solution to all problems.

Being an engineer, I know it isn't, and will only solve a couple of them.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:25:29 pm »

Since you mentioned works of art specifically -- it's unclear whether works commissioned by the player will ever be allowed (I personally am against it).  Right now the dwarves' art choices are one of their most important expressions of autonomy.

If you had other good uses in mind for a macro system, please mention them -- the other option you mentioned, work orders, doesn't seem useful in any way I can think of.  Well, I guess I could see something like queuing up hematite smelting jobs after you strike hematite.

I like the flow amounts idea, it would be nice to be able to change more of those init settings in-game.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:29:52 pm by Footkerchief »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:57:46 pm »

Since you mentioned works of art specifically -- it's unclear whether works commissioned by the player will ever be allowed (I personally am against it).  Right now the dwarves' art choices are one of their most important expressions of autonomy.

If only that were true. I don't even see the difference between what different dwarves engrave. It's all crap from the RNG (Random Nonsense Gods). Besides, the <engrave anything> designation would still be standard, of course.

I'm all for dwarves personality diversity, but let's not cripple one particular area because all others (leisure activities, furnishes own room, choice of clothing,... ) aren't working yet. You can stop your dwarves from eating when they're starving, but you can't make them engrave a particular picture? Come on.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:00:47 pm by Silverionmox »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:02:05 pm »

If only that were true. I don't even see the difference between what different dwarves engrave. It's all crap from the RNG (Random Nonsense Gods).

Not entirely true.  Once they get to a high level they do seem to just engrave the same events over and over, but at lower levels they'll often engrave things mentioned in their personality, such as animals they like, or things that reflect people around them and how the engraver relates to them, such as pictures of a grudge acquaintance cringing at a bunch of hated vermin or something.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »

Yes, it's way too rare. There could be a cost (bad thoughts, price, tiring quickly, whatever), but they don't make fine pewter maces either when you order steel axes.

The Bayeux tapestry also had ad-lib patterns and images for the decorative edges, but for the centerpart the craftsmen kept themselves to what was ordered.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:50:19 pm »

I'm not against, say, dwarven nobles commissioning particular works of art.  But letting the player control it just seems cheap.  I'm not really interested in arguing the point, since I don't think there's much chance Toady would give the player that kind of control.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 02:20:02 pm »

If he doesn't, I'm going to campaign to abolish specific mining designation. Let the dwarves decide where to mine!  ;D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:26:02 pm »

If he doesn't, I'm going to campaign to abolish specific mining designation. Let the dwarves decide where to mine!  ;D

Well, it would be kind of cool if miners got fey moods and dug straight into platinum deposits or underground features or something.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:25:24 pm »

I don't see why I can't create an iron-fisted dictatorship fortress where individuality is frowned upon, either. Last I checked I was the omniscient god-being watching over my fort.

The main reason I thought up of this, though, is the aforementioned mayoral thing. I don't find it too unlikely that a mayor might commission their own engraving done in some specific hall or something. Until the game AI can handle such a thing by itself though, why not let the player do it manually?

Another example of this might be having a macro to sew a new set of clothes every time a child is born, or have certain levers automatically pulled once traders arrive or invaders arrive (just thought of this now).

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 05:38:28 pm »

All else aside, a Show Flows button would be nice.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!