Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about water pressure and underground rivers  (Read 586 times)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about water pressure and underground rivers
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:18:04 pm »

Searching for a new site, and have a question about the topic, as I haven't actually used an underground river yet. 

Can I channel out the rock ABOVE the underground river to "dump" any water that I pump out of it back into the river, and not worry about the river flowing up through the channel?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about water pressure and underground rivers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »

The water WILL rise to the height of the source.  You can safely dig out the rock enclosing the top level of the river, but on levels below that, the water will flow upward.

However, I'm pretty sure you can't dump water back into a full river in any case -- the water won't just disappear, it has to go somewhere.  A cave river isn't a suitable drain.  For that you want a chasm or bottomless pit.

Cultiststeve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:17:36 pm »

cave rivers sometimes flow into a small chasm.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:20:59 pm »

If your cave river terminates at a chasm, then you'll be fine, as the excess water will just simply teleport to the end of the river. If your cave river terminates at the edge of the map, then the water pressure will be a problem.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

For that you want a chasm or bottomless pit.
Which can normally be found in a cave river.  Gee, what a coincidence!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »

For that you want a chasm or bottomless pit.
Which can normally be found in a cave river.  Gee, what a coincidence!

I didn't know those little ones at the end would be enough to handle it -- I thought I'd tried what the OP was describing and the excess water just sat on top.  Maybe not though.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:02 am »

There's a small chasm with the underground rivers, not counting the # symbol on the embark screen?

If not, then I guess I'd have to direct the water out of the fort, possibly into the outdoor river then?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:48:46 am »

Rivers are sometimes completely horizontal, but more commonly they have several waterfalls, eventually emptying into a chasm at the very bottom of the map. Thus, a cave river usually gives you both a water source and a chasm at the same time.