Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Floor/Wall Conversion  (Read 3743 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floor/Wall Conversion
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 03:28:17 pm »

But as things stand a tile of wall is made from a single block of stone

Says who? A single unit of "blocks" in the game isn't one block. Otherwise, good luck building a well out of it. Or anything else, really.

For another example: Ever try building something out a single log?

A single unit of blocks/bars/logs/whatever isn't a SINGLE block/bar/log/whatever.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 03:45:48 pm »

The game already has a mechanic for representing a "unit" of something that's made of many smaller subunits; stacks. Blocks don't use them.

But anyway, the point is that if you want to engrave a section of wall there's no reason why you can't make that section of wall out of a single slab of stone. If existing "stone blocks" don't do it for you, add "stone slabs" to the list of things you can make. The end result is the same.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 04:57:14 pm »

Sounds fine all in all, but a small engraving is going to be less impressive than a large one, and a large block of stone should require more effort to move around than a set of bricks, which are easily replaced when broken.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 06:07:48 pm »

This tiny engraving (about one inch wide) is actually made on a piece of mammoth tusk -- believe it or not, remains of the extinct mammoth make a plentiful raw material in Chukotka. This engraving simply depicts the iaranga itself, standing in the mountainous tundra.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 11:34:43 am »

The game already has a mechanic for representing a "unit" of something that's made of many smaller subunits; stacks. Blocks don't use them.

This is pretty wrong.

You don't make ashes out of single logs and you don't make wells and walls out of single blocks, and it's kind of hard to build a barred/grate structure in the wall out of a single bar of iron.... unless it's a pole twenty feet long, maybe.

I've said this to people before: It's called "abstraction". No, you don't get a single log out of a tree or a single rock out of a mined tile. That's just the way the game represents it to make it easier on you and on the program.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:38:55 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 05:11:10 pm »

Of course, frescoes are painting. And painting is undwarven!

(That was a joke.)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:39 am »

I've said this to people before: It's called "abstraction". No, you don't get a single log out of a tree or a single rock out of a mined tile. That's just the way the game represents it to make it easier on you and on the program.

You do get a single log out of a tree, generally speaking.

But anyway, as you put it "abstraction" just means we don't _know_ what a stone block really is. So why not have it be large enough to carve? I'm not seeing where this actually says you shouldn't be able to do that.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 04:34:21 pm »

Because said engraving will be destroyed when you actually tried to make something out of it.  You make an engraving into the finished product.  The only real reliable way to do it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 02:29:01 am »

How can you state with certainty that it "will be destroyed" when we're discussing a proposal for a system that doesn't actually exist yet? As the game currently stands you can't carve blocks at all, regardless of whether they've already been built into a wall or not.

My suggestion was that it would be nice to be able to engrave a stone block (or slab, or whatever terminology one prefers to describe the situation) and then select it for installation as a wall just like we do when installing gem-encrusted furniture and so forth. It fits in with both real-world engraving techniques and with the existing mechanics of how Dwarf Fortress works. I really don't see what the big problem with this is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]