Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doors and Presure Plates  (Read 1108 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Doors and Presure Plates
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »

Is there any way to rig a pressure plate to close one door and open another? 

I had this sick twisted idea for my next elvish PoWs, in which I stick them in a big circle with four doors they can exit through.  All but one is closed so they run towards the open one.  On the way they step on a pressure plate that closes the open door and opens the next one in the circle.  This continues till they go insane and die, at which point I retrieve their armor for selling, their weapons for sparring, bones for arrows and leave the blood and body parts there as decoration.  Then I just stick the next elf in and repeat.

Unfortunately, this obviously won't work if I can't have a pressure plate open one door and close another.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Doors and Presure Plates
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:15:02 pm »

you can only do this with complex setups using water and multiple pressure plates. plates don't send 'toggle' messages, they send an ON and an OFF message depending on the state they are in. each thing you can hook up to a plate only reacts one way to a given message. an ON message opens a door, or does nothing if it's already open. so multiple objects linked to the same lever or plate will just end up in the same position.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 11:21:24 pm »

I like it.  I hope you have a renewable water source, as you'll need it.

Each pressure plate in the cell is connected to one screw pump and 3 hatch covers elsewhere. The screw pump pumps water on to a pressure plate which opens a different door, and the hatch covers open to drain water from a pressure plate that's keeping the current door open.

I was going to draw an ascii diagram, but I was having a really hard time with it(edit which is when I got post ninja'ed). Hopefully you understand what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:24:41 pm by mjo625 »

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:39:02 pm »

I like it.  I hope you have a renewable water source, as you'll need it.

Each pressure plate in the cell is connected to one screw pump and 3 hatch covers elsewhere. The screw pump pumps water on to a pressure plate which opens a different door, and the hatch covers open to drain water from a pressure plate that's keeping the current door open.

I was going to draw an ascii diagram, but I was having a really hard time with it(edit which is when I got post ninja'ed). Hopefully you understand what I mean.

I had a similar thought process just now, although mine involved floodgates along the brook instead of pumps, but I think I like your idea better, as it'll be easier to set up.  None the less, he is my diagram, although it's more of a drawing, and a crappy paint one at that, but it might be clear enough to see what I'm thinking...

Spoiler: Click for "diagram". (click to show/hide)

Basically the same as yours just with floodgates if I'm understanding you correctly.  Actually, would this even work with floodgates?  I think the delay might prevent the doors from opening/closing right...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:59:02 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly it, except with an extra drainage hatch cover (the 3 in my last post should be a 2). On the left side it would go, from top to bottom, yellow floodgate, blue hatch cover, green pressure plate, blue (hatch cover or flood gate).

Floodgates would actually be better, now that I think of it, what with not requiring power.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:35:55 am »

bear in mind that some of these complex mechanisms have significant delays, my one-way door requires a pressure plate field about 20 deep to make sure that no perfectly agile dwarves(which seem to have a maximum speed of one tile per 5 frames) manage to race through before it closes. Also be aware of the risk of something connected to pressure plates getting the wrong signals due to signals not having an effect if the target is in the wrong state at the time...

Hmmm, automatic doors, do they make a swooshing sound?
"These are the adventures of the startship Boatmurdered"...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 03:07:16 am »

bear in mind that some of these complex mechanisms have significant delays, my one-way door requires a pressure plate field about 20 deep to make sure that no perfectly agile dwarves(which seem to have a maximum speed of one tile per 5 frames) manage to race through before it closes. Also be aware of the risk of something connected to pressure plates getting the wrong signals due to signals not having an effect if the target is in the wrong state at the time...

Hmmm, automatic doors, do they make a swooshing sound?
"These are the adventures of the startship Boatmurdered"...

I'm not likely to stick dwarves in the torture device, but that should give me a good scale to transfer over to the elves and goblin's speed.  Thanks!

Yeah, that's exactly it, except with an extra drainage hatch cover (the 3 in my last post should be a 2). On the left side it would go, from top to bottom, yellow floodgate, blue hatch cover, green pressure plate, blue (hatch cover or flood gate).

Floodgates would actually be better, now that I think of it, what with not requiring power.

They don't require power, but I'm thinking I'll use doors if it'll still work, cause then I don't have to worry about a delay in the first place.  My design might not work in the next version, but it'll spare me building however many hundred pressure plates I would have to build to prevent a "super-elvishly agile" victim from getting past one of the plates too quick and sneaking through a door and stinking up my fortress with his corpse.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 02:56:24 pm »

Replace doors with floodgates and it works.  :D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 03:11:13 pm »

Replace doors with floodgates and it works.  :D
It works with doors. When a door is activated by a lever, it becomes:
(Passable, pet-passable, open)
Which allows water through. Conversely, it becomes forbidden and not open when the lever is triggered again. Only when doors are not hooked up to levers can they be just "passable, pet passable" like they would be if freshly built.
Why is everyone so angry?