Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dangersound - A community fortress  (Read 3997 times)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Dangersound - A community fortress
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 04:02:15 am »

I have to agree with Haika, the non first-person style is interesting but lacks detail

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 05:44:55 am »

I will do my best to add more detail and slow down the game. I will give you all much more in depth report tomorrow.

Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:28 pm »

This reminds me. Where the hell am I? I thought you were gonna use Companion to change immigrants to what we wanted.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 06:07:58 pm »

The human caravan gone, the dwarves were back to work. The second floor now starting to take shape. The miners, engravers and masons had been working around the clock to carve out extravagant rooms. Many were hoping that the room they worked on might soon be their own. Little did they know that being in charge of the fortress had given Kate a big head. When Yanlin, one of the engravers enquired she replied that the rooms would be for the new nobility that would be coming soon. The word soon spread and with it, discontent. They had come here to escape the nobility, not to carve out their summer homes. Kate then made an announcement. These rooms that they were carving out were indeed for nobility, but it would ensure that the nobility and the workers would be kept separate. No demands from any noble would reach the ears of any worker.

Everyone knew that noone could keep the nobility from eventually coming here. So this seemed a fair alternative. Work progressed as the miners dug out the area the engravers would smooth the floor and walls and the rest of the workers would remove the stone. This continued throughout the Autumn. The dwarven caravan had come. Only food and booze producing items were purchased this pass. The winter came and went without incident. All the while the dwarves endured back breaking labor for nobility that had not even come yet.

As spring came, a mood struck the metalworker Pheobos. The man took over the metalworks, and demanded silk. Sadly there was none. His only hope lie in the damnable elves and their caravan. He was doomed. The elven caravan had nothing but rope reed cloth. The goods were seized, and the elves left, but this did nothing to help the poor smith. Slowly, but surely he went insane. The lack of foresight during the last caravan had cost poor Pheobos his mind.

Kate, sure that the goblins would come again with the human caravan, ordered into existence a formal military. There were plenty of volunteers. Crispin, Kyrist, Barrack, Kyterra, and Neosen were each chosen to be the leaders of one the five squads. Everyone knew that had it not been for his wounds Zigzag would have been chosen above anyone to lead a squad. So, in place of that, they elected him to be the Capitan of the Guard. They were sure he would thank them, if he wasn't in a coma.

A short time after the formation of the military the first child of Dangersound was born. Ablel Lashglowed and Ablel Pageticked gave birth to a baby girl. Not to be outdone, Kib Roughnessvalley and Deduk Mutelantern also gave birth to a baby girl. Shortly after a caravan appeared on the horizon...

Ok, so that is up to now. I will try to add more detail and story into the reports, but sometimes a season passes and nothing happens but work. Suggestions are completely welcome.

FoboslC

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »

:(
Can You post some fortress pictures?
Also, why dont you just slay the nobles?Make some wooden spikes, fill a room with them and 1 bed, attach the spikes to lever, place noble inside, lock the door, pull the lever /R

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:54 pm »

Sure I'll add some fortress pics.

Murdering them would only bring us down to their level.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 06:58:35 pm »

Sure I'll add some fortress pics.

Murdering them would only bring us down to their level.

And besides, locking them in and letting them starve to death, is most fun. :D
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:39 pm »

Oh no, there is an airlock between the workers and the nobles, they will have a place where prepared meals will be placed. They will also get a well, but no alcohol. They don't work, they don't drink. =)

FoboslC

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 02:24:22 am »

No murdering nobles? Just cage them then. They are not dead, they dont issue mandates, everybody happy.
Nothing cheers up Dwarves more than a noble zoo.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 03:30:29 pm »

As the caravan arrived so did the goblin scourge. This time they brought an elite with them. As if almost on queue Zigzag woke up and headed outside toward the group of crossbow wieiding goblins. Through a hail of arrows and bolts Zigzag weaved, taking hit after hit but not slowing down in the least. He raised his axe and brought it down upon the goblin leader. The goblins right arm flew off in an arc. The elite goblin collapsed in a heap. Sadly in the next second, a bolt pierced through Zigzag's head, killing him instantly. Crispin's crew arrived just in time to see the horrible tragedy unfold. Crispin himself charged two of the crossbow wielding goblins. They fired what bolts they had left, but they weren't enough. They ran. Crispin caught up with the fleeing cowards and stuck them down with ease.

The caravan brought many things, but amongst them silk was not found. Instead, cheese. Yes the human caravan was overloaded with cheeses of nearly every type. The town gladly took the cheese in exchange for the tiny armor and clothing left from the dead goblins. The deaths and the goblins kept the migrants from approching that summer.

With the trading done, the work recommenced minus a few unfortunate casualties from the past season. The military force, training up unarmed combat to ensure that they could tough it out when they practiced with real weapondry, was making quite the mess in the barracks. Half and fully nude dwarves were trapsing everywhere. Noone complained.

It seems the end of summer had a whimsical effect Tesla. With a gleam in his eye he took over the craftsdwarf workshop. He ran past Kate and Mook straight to the coal vein that had been unearthed and took a bunch from the pile. Before anyone could say anything he was back at the workshop ignoring everything else. After he had finished he held a coal idol. Quite the useless bauble, but it held a rather nice piece of history engraved upon it.

And you all asked for some fortress images. Here they are! Sorry about taking so long. =)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 02:41:01 am »

Who the hell sleeps in the middle of the room?

Yanlin becomes enraged!
Yanlin turns purple from rage!
Yanlin, petraphiliac has mandated the moving of his bed to a corner.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

deathstar175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:34 am »

Nice, was Tesla a fey or possession?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »

Possession. If it were a fey, he'd have actually pulled that shit off with the coils.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »

O wow, I just found this.

I'll take any immigrant, but let him be a military axedwarf.

Welcome back to Dwarf Fortress, Kate.    ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]