Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snoring & Sleep in General  (Read 651 times)

enino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Snoring & Sleep in General
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:44:02 am »

Hi

If this is already implemented entirely ignore me.

I was just thinking whether the basic concept of snoring or sleeps lightly/deeply could be implemented into the game. Someone could realise a Dwarf snores/sleeps lightly/sleeps deeply in his personality tab thingi.

This could create effects like -

- Annoying the other dwarves in a barracks causing them to get grumpy due to lack of sleep.
- Dwarves waking up throughout the 'night' because Urist McWalkabout walked past his bed
- Dwarves being killed in the night by a Goblin ambushers because they don't wake up at all even if the military is killing the other ambushers

Just little things like that. I'm sure you could add other things to a dwarven sleeping pattern as well (like sleepwalking outside/into a moat/lava/hole/alligator pitt/to the foodstockpile/to beer/e.t.c).

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Snoring & Sleep in General
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:06:50 am »

The only thing I'd like to see in regards to sleep is..

Well I want the dwarves to STOP just falling asleep where they stand! I order something built and a dwarf will walk from across the map, get started only to drop what he's doing and sleep on the ground.
Soldiers are the worst. Does active duty mean anything to them? The squad leaders always choose to sleep at the worst time and their soldiers refuse to budge an inch. They stand around their squad leader and lets the goblins mercilessly massacre the entire population unless I tell someone else to take charge.

Makes me angry every time. I even had a hopelessly outnumbered squad who needed backup. I ordered the backup but on the way the squad leader fell over in the mud and took a nap and his troops didn't leave his side. I was like "where is the damned backup?" and when I saw it I raged.

The squad leader was later executed along with his wife and two children. That made me feel better.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:02:09 am »

It would be rather nice to be able to establish a "bivouac area" for on duty squads, maybe assign one dwarf to guard the area and wake up sleeping dwarves if attacked. Might take a bit to set up some tents and improvise fortifications or something.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:45 pm »

It might be cool for some dwarves to have important dreams. Something like "Urdim Abanbomrek wakes up screaming, for he has seen a vast goblin army assualting the fortress in the near future". Or maybe "Stakad Cilobilrom hugs his wife in delight because he knows that they will have a child before the season is out".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:06:38 pm »

It would be even cooler if some of those dreams were false, causing dwarves to become ridiculed and depressed.

It would be even cooler if some of those false dreams turned out to be true, but ended up happening more distantly in the future than the dwarves expected. "Oh, Urist's dream four years about us getting mauled by those four dragons was right all along. We shouldn't have torn down the defenses after six months!"