Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Darklands: Getting it to run on XP  (Read 3511 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Darklands: Getting it to run on XP
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »

Hey,

I downloaded a copy of Darklands, since I don't have my old disks of it anymore. However, I can't seem to get it to run. It just starts up a dos window and then exits. If I run it with VDMS or from a dos prompt it tells me that it is 'Unable to find EMS memory'. I did try fiddling with the memory settings under the exe's properties, but that didn't seem to help any.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd like to play this game again, but it doesn't seem to want to cooperate.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Darklands: Getting it to run on XP
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:13:33 pm »

Dosbox. I have Darklands, and it works fine in Dosbox.

http://www.dosbox.com/

I recommend moving Darklands to the C: drive, and renamng it DARK. Once you open Dosbox, type:

mount c c:\DARK
c:

and then type the name of whatever the .exe is. Hope that helps!  :)
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:44 pm »

Yep, Mine runs with dosbox just fine.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:13 pm »

There are some awesome flash tools at the Darklands fan site here[url].
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:33 am »

mount c: c:\DARK
c:

and then type the name of whatever the .exe is. Hope that helps!  :)
To streamline things even further, add the above lines to the "dosbox.conf" file(use notepad) - scroll to the very bottom and type them after the [autoexec] tag. This way the game will start automaticaly every time you run dosbox. You can add other options like full screen mode etc. as well. All commands are listed in the same file.

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:25:22 am »

If you don't want to meddle with the details of DosBox yourself, get a frontend.  They have a list of them here.

Your life will be a lot easier using them.  Or so they say.  Myself, I have found that sometimes they are nice, but sometimes they are a royal pain in the posterior.

I, myself, use D-Fend Reloaded.  I haven't tried to use any of the others, so I can't comment on them.

-(e)EP

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:52:56 am »

You can also click on the darklands exe, and move it over dosbox's one, and tadaa, instant game without typing stuff. Also, press Ctrl-F12 multiple times in order to raise the number of CPU cycles used, or it will lag in combat.
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:46:01 am »

Cool. Thanks, everyone!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One