Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Capital Ship Sim  (Read 20500 times)

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Capital Ship Sim
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2009, 11:59:00 am »

Only on the frigates, apparently. The bigger ships can have several hundreds of "crew". For roleplaying reasons. - As far as I'm concerned however, unless I can see a manifesto with each and every one of these "crewmembers" bio and a picture, they don't exist.

MANIFESTO:

Crewmember #1: Yellowia.
;D

Yellowia is an intergalactical terrorist. He is best known for scamming a poor village out of 5 Isk in a failed pymarid scheme. He has joined up with your crew to avoid perseuction. Yellowia's main goal is to protect the "Yellow Race", whatever that is.

I see what you did there.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2009, 01:00:57 pm »

- i DONT need to command boarding missions in the first person
- i DO want some sort of abstract controll over what marines are assigned to boarding missions, wither their priority is to disable or capture, or if they are withheld on the ship for defense/
- it would also be nice to generally be able to reassign pools of crew to different tasks, if damage control became a prioraty or if you needed more people manning the fighter bays for reloading ordnance between flights or whatever

Might be worth considering creating a sort of tactical side scrolling mini-game sort of in the style of Cortex Command in terms of appearance, to give you a sense of actually doing something.

Huh.  It seems like a minigame would fit in pretty weird, but it might be amusing to just see all your crew in like a Sims-style thing with very minimal controls needed.  I mean you're busy flying your ship...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2009, 02:10:42 pm »

Ya'll should check out the old 688 attack sub game where you moved from post to post to use the different stations abilities.

arguably, EVERY aspect of capital ship command should be a 'minigame' of sorts... Especially since movement isn't really on the same scale as the rest of the battle.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2009, 02:19:54 pm »

Which is precisely why Puzzle Pirates came up.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2009, 08:04:47 pm »

yeah, for a multiplayer game, puzzlepirates would be an ideal sort of modle.  i think it puts people off because its "cute" and "casual" but that need not be the case.

imagine a massive game where there were fleet vs fleet battles, or planetary assaults, or whatever.  as people joined the game to play for a short while, they would be assigned to a post on a ship.  their performance at that post
would have an effect on the larger game, which they could see happening around them on the strategic board, or whatever.

I think PP is an ideal model for this sort of thing.

Also, for a game that did fleet combat with boarding actions as a sub-game, does anyone remember Breach?  Specifically, Breach 3, which was a stand-alone squad-level tactical game?  There was also Rules-of-Engagement 2, which was a stand-alone cap-ship simulator, and the two games could work together so ROE2 would launch boarding actions in Breach if you had both games.

You can still read the google-cache of HOTU's review of ROE2:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:1KuzQu2vs6wJ:www.the-underdogs.info/game.php%3Fid%3D932+rules+of+engagement+2&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

while it lasts...

Another game that had a strategic board with lots of minigames (shooting down missiles, flying a space fighter and dogfighting, repairing defense satelites, boarding a space station and shooting russians) was SDI, Strategic Defense Initiative.  I think it was for the Atari ST and Amiga, but it might have been available on DOS too.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2009, 08:11:20 pm »

I was REALLY looking forward to the original team's plans for Star Trek Online; a huge part of it was cooperative, Puzzle-Pirates like ship operation. Sadly, from everything shown so far, Cryptic don't intend to follow the old team's designs. I imagine that would be one of my favorite games ever if it were to come to pass.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:40 pm »

Hmmmmmm.

Tilla, Puke:

If the TIGSource game competition this weekend is what they talked about it being, keep an eye on my game.  Since it's time-limited, I'm only aiming for one player per ship...but multiple duty puzzles to switch between, and with the infrastructure to add more crew per ship as soon as the time constraints are gone (ie after the competition).  That takes more graphics/models/code/etc after all.  You may get your Puzzle Pirates in space after all.

Harsh time limits so that I stop overdesigning are essential.

Mock me mercilessly for years if I don't deliver.  Please.  It's a game that needs to be made, and I'm utterly devoted to sacrificing the next ~month of my life for it.  Seriously, it's not officially announced until the weekend, but once I post that I'm starting, feel free I beg you to harass me via PM and make me work harder.  :P

EDIT:  Yup, starts Sunday, runs for five weeks.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:03:36 pm by Sowelu »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2009, 08:13:39 pm »

Just saw the announcement of the compo, the contest in general makes me excited! A lot of my favorite games are in cockpits

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2009, 02:56:16 pm »

My project is coming along surprisingly well so far.  The graphics aren't impressive at all yet, but I'm just happy I got them working on the first day!  I'll have to post occasional updates here...but my "one-player-per-ship Puzzle Pirates in Space that will get extended to multiple players per ship as soon as the core game is done" is absolutely becoming a reality.  It's not really a cap ship at the beginning, more of a large shuttlecraft, but that will change!

Of course it's not an MMO either yet, just simple two player multiplayer...

Hoping to have the first puzzles online tomorrow night...and I've got a whole five weeks to finish and polish it.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4832.0

There was some lively discussion on the STO forums about how people wished Star Trek Online was going to work.  Eventually I'm hoping to crib some of those ideas, like cooperative 'sick bay' games (don't squirm while the doctor is replacing your lung! more blocks drop on your playing field if he slips!) and science officers being able to work on long-term research over multiple sessions (getting published for a fame/experience boost at the end).

I desperately want non-combat science missions.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:03:44 pm by Sowelu »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]