Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gunpowder  (Read 3138 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Gunpowder
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 03:20:37 am »

Agreed.

I think it would make sense for dwarves (and probably dwarves only) to have some limited use of gunpowder. They should know how to make basic bombs with it.

Probably not landmines or anything, as much fun as that would be, but at least a basic sort of "throw this powder in a bag, light a fuse, run the hell away" sort of thing.

You really think having the attributes settings required to make gunpowder as a MATERIAL wont allow for MacGuivering together a working landmine system? Here's one I call "the happy face of death:

Code: [Select]
..^_^..

Rig the pressure plates to drop an "igniter stone" onto the middle square (covered in gunpoder) and BOOM. Things can get more elaborate (and hidden) if the "explosion" will carry up multiple z-levels.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

L0rd_ZOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 03:22:04 am »

I honestly don't think it would make the game less "medieval" since medieval Europeans did, in fact, know about and use gunpowder, and dwarves are good with minerals and flammables anyhow.

Guns and other advanced use, of course, would be silly, but making explosions would be nice.

If I wanted to use gunpowder or explosives I would play battlefield or dawn of war.

Age of Empires 2 was awesome, then people got gunpowder and made hand cannons and bombard cannons and the game went too crap.

Gunpowder will become an "I WIN" button. Where's the fun in no challenge?

Yes, I will admit explosions are cool but DF should be kept renaissance free.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 07:03:50 am »

I honestly don't think it would make the game less "medieval" since medieval Europeans did, in fact, know about and use gunpowder, and dwarves are good with minerals and flammables anyhow.

Guns and other advanced use, of course, would be silly, but making explosions would be nice.

If I wanted to use gunpowder or explosives I would play battlefield or dawn of war.

Age of Empires 2 was awesome, then people got gunpowder and made hand cannons and bombard cannons and the game went too crap.

Gunpowder will become an "I WIN" button. Where's the fun in no challenge?

Yes, I will admit explosions are cool but DF should be kept renaissance free.
Gunpowder was introduced in Europe in the latter half of the 13th century. Way before Renaissance. Just a nitpick.

Besides, it only becomes an "I WIN" button if the enemy is too stupid to use it themselves. AoE2 was crap all the way through.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 02:53:45 pm »

Agreed.

I think it would make sense for dwarves (and probably dwarves only) to have some limited use of gunpowder. They should know how to make basic bombs with it.

Probably not landmines or anything, as much fun as that would be, but at least a basic sort of "throw this powder in a bag, light a fuse, run the hell away" sort of thing.

Definitely. THIS is what gunpowder should be used for in DF.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]