Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 521 times)

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:48 pm »

This is my first posting, rest assured I've been lurking like a Kobold Thief on these forums for a while. Anyways I had my first must tell DF story and I simply had to post it. First off this is probably my 8th fotress all the others have been decimated by hunger, goblins or emo dwarves. It's also my first one that I prepared carefully at the begining and its probably the best I've had. During my 5th year I ran into the first siege on this fortress, also however it coincided with my very first Megabeast ever, a titan! Obviously terrified, I quickly ordered all my dwarves inside and closed my portcullis. I let the game run for a while hoping the goblins would find their way to the entrance where they would quickly be finished off by my Marksdwarves. i let the game run for a little bit to see what was happening, but the siege and titan were just milling around at the borders. So I opened the portcullis again and hoped some animals would lure them over. Suddenly to my horror the Titan was in the middle of my courtyard. Fortunatley my marksdwarves took him down quickley, however goblins were starting to come inside. I closed my portcullis and mopped up the goblins inside, there were still about 18 left. I noticed to my shock that one guard was oustide. I thought to myself, should I go rescue him? Soon I realized that he was actually doing quite well. He ended up taking down 6 of them before they turned tale to run. I wasn't sure if the were going to regroup so I kept the portcullis closed and watched my one guard chase 12 goblins out of my land.

Angellus

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:47:05 pm »

This is my first posting, rest assured I've been lurking like a Kobold Thief on these forums for a while. Anyways I had my first must tell DF story and I simply had to post it. First off this is probably my 8th fotress all the others have been decimated by hunger, goblins or emo dwarves. It's also my first one that I prepared carefully at the begining and its probably the best I've had. During my 5th year I ran into the first siege on this fortress, also however it coincided with my very first Megabeast ever, a titan! Obviously terrified, I quickly ordered all my dwarves inside and closed my portcullis. I let the game run for a while hoping the goblins would find their way to the entrance where they would quickly be finished off by my Marksdwarves. i let the game run for a little bit to see what was happening, but the siege and titan were just milling around at the borders. So I opened the portcullis again and hoped some animals would lure them over. Suddenly to my horror the Titan was in the middle of my courtyard. Fortunatley my marksdwarves took him down quickley, however goblins were starting to come inside. I closed my portcullis and mopped up the goblins inside, there were still about 18 left. I noticed to my shock that one guard was oustide. I thought to myself, should I go rescue him? Soon I realized that he was actually doing quite well. He ended up taking down 6 of them before they turned tale to run. I wasn't sure if the were going to regroup so I kept the portcullis closed and watched my one guard chase 12 goblins out of my land.
Yup, thats a dwarven guard allright!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:55:14 pm »

Hello!

Welcome to the world of light :) :)

An interesting story (especially the bad luck of starting with first siege and megabeast at the same time). There are however some things I know from personal experience or from the forums I would like to tell you about.

First of all, from personal experience, I know invaders cheat. They will know the exact status of all your doors, so if there is no way to get to any dwarf, they will know about that absence. In response, they will not move an inch. Thus, if you have a siege you always have to open some passageway for them to get to your dwarves. Otherwise, they will simply stay there scaring off the caravans. This is something you will need to consider in your fortress design, I am afraid.

Secondly, at least during ambushes, routed parties have never regrouped in my experience. So, if a group of invaders turns tail, they will probably not come back. However, there is always the danger of there being additional groups that have not been routed.

Finally, from its humble beginnings, health care in DF has made a lot of progress. Trying to save a dwarf is always worth it in my opinion, unless there was a real greater danger to the rescuers. In the situation described, I would have suggested sending your marksdwarves outside so they can scare off any enemies (ranged weapons with ammunition rule in this game). This would allow for a wounded recovery if necessary and the chances of survival would be good. Thanks to the complex relations system of the game, allowing a dwarf to die does pose a risk to your fortress as well, so avoiding unnecessary deaths is one approach to the game.

Anyhow, I hope you don't mind me going all teacher-like (me actually being only an occasional player myself (^_^;; ). I hope you have fun!

Deathworks

Sinfullyvannila

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. :)