Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luring Workers  (Read 693 times)

Memestream

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Luring Workers
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:36:23 pm »

I'm a big fan of Tropico and DF, so it's no surprise where I got this idea from.

One of the things that really gets me about this game is the seemingly random manner in which immigrants arrive. I suppose that this does provide an organic feel on some level, but being that it seems to pay no heed to the 'demands' of the resident economy, it just feels frustrating at times. Wouldn't a skilled weaponsmith be dying to move to that up and coming Hamlet after it's established it's necessities so he can fill the gap and become a valued part of the community?

Of course, it would be less than totally entertaining if you could just get whatever dwarves you needed as you needed them. So, I thought up an idea for a bit of a compromise which would allow more goal oriented gameplay to creep it's way in without disrupting the organic feel of the game.

Perhaps, when the trade advisors visit from neighboring regions, you can request workers from them. However, you don't get the workers for free, and you don't trade for them either. My idea was that perhaps you could tell the advisor that you desired a particular dwarf, and then you would have a new set of criteria to fill very similar to what the nobles have. The metalsmith that you are 'putting out an ad for' would only want to come if there was a proper incentive, like perhaps a decent bedroom, two chests, and a weapon rack etc.  When you fulfilled these needs, the new worker would arrive and move into his new abode. In order to prevent cheating and keep it realistic, you could make the dwarf tantrum or possibly even go berserk(depending on his demeanor) if you decided to deprive him of what he came for.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Luring Workers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 02:48:35 pm »

Not to burst your bubble, but like many other good ideas, this one has come up at least a couple of times already.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4406.msg61082#msg61082 (this one includes the "incentive" idea)
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26001.msg303597#msg303597
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3874.msg56650#msg56650

Memestream

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »

Fair enough, I'll be more rigorous with my search next time.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »

There is currently two of these threads on the FRONT PAGE!!! wooh! Yeah for checking!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »

There is currently two of these threads on the FRONT PAGE!!! wooh! Yeah for checking!

The other one is only on the front page because it got bumped AFTER I linked it.  It wasn't on the front page when he posted this one.

Also, even if you had been right, you don't have to be rude about it.  He's new here and he already acknowledged he made a mistake.  This isn't the only thread you're insulting people in, so chill out.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:42:30 pm »

I keep overreacting.  To everything... ::)  :P

Bumping up my medicine...
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:01:45 pm »

Also, even if you had been right, you don't have to be rude about it.  He's new here and he already acknowledged he made a mistake.
And heaven knows that's rare enough on the internet. We gotta keep these people around.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:35:00 pm »

As anyone who's played DF through can tell you, once the immigration stops, there's nothing left but the tantrum spiral. No community can afford to be hostile to newcomers.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.