Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I shot aquifer?  (Read 651 times)

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I shot aquifer?
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:25:16 am »

I'm having a lot of trouble with aquifers, I've done plenty of stuff in the game otherwise.

Built a giant outdoors tower.

Built a giant mountain fortress.

Defended sieges.

The normal stuff. I can't wrap my head around aquifers though.
I remembered someone saying that if you collapse the roof into a room filled with aquifer water you can mine down through that, and I successfully did. Here is a diagram, as best I can draw:

# = Ground tiles
| = Underground walls
. = Open space, or channel
~ = Water
> = Down Stair
< = Up Stair
X = Up/down stair
Code: [Select]
TOP VIEW, GROUND LEVEL:

###########
#.........#
#.#######.#
#.#######.#
#.#######.#
#.#######.#
#.#######.#
#.......#.#
######>####

This 'pillar' extended 3 stories down, until I hollowed out a water-filled room that filled from the aquifer. I dropped the thing, made a big splash then mined through and hit a second layer of the aquifer and am thoroughly stumped.

*Edited because of the code diagram being dumb and not working.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:39:08 am by Mystry »

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I shot aquifer?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:09 am »

I've not used the mathod before, I imagine you could modify it to punch through 2 layers of aquifer if you dropped a hollow square down into the first level and had the central plug hanging from a support to drop into the second level once you had channeled it out:

The easiest method is to open it up to the sky and let it freeze in winter then wall it up before it melts.

The method I normally use is to pump the water out of a square and adjacent ramp into another square of aquifer and build a wall in the dry section you'll have to unsuspend the construction multiple times, once you have one wall up move everything along one tile and repeat until you have a square wall andt area that you'll be you can pump out the water. The trick to this and your land drop method is to leave enough room inside the firs able to work on the second layer.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:40:32 am by Rollio »

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:32:14 am »

2 layer aquifers are extremely difficult to get through. i don't think there's an easy way to cavein through them.  i have seen some people who have pumped through 2 layers, though it is quite a feat and will require some knowledge of dwarven water dynamics and mechanisms.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:57:31 am »

if you've got a big enough block collapsed onto the first level, carve it into another, smaller cave-in block for the second level. or try the pump method. if you don't have enough room, time to start over in another part of the map...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch