Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Expedition!  (Read 1156 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Expedition!
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:02:07 pm »

I know this has come up before, under a number of headings- melding modes, "Dwarven(Oregon) Trail", Caravan Mode...(Feel free to link/quote more threads if they have useful bits.)

Footkerchief probably has the best simple implementation-description (pick your supplies. Adventure + wagons using Travel map, starting from a civ site. Add "settle" button when in local.) and another old thread has a good description of how it might go on the complex future side- building the expedition from before there e'en is an expedition.

Sphr has some notes on issues with an in-between mode, as well as a neat little expedition-mode story.

So, what I ha'e to add-this travelling component makes possible better exploration of the region you're getting into- so you can actually semi-intelligently place your wagon, and not be on the other side of the chasm from your magma, say, and were planning on using it to make your tools- though, I suspect most do-it-yourselfs might prove to be modified for this mode- perhaps you stop on the way at a magma pipe to make your tools and continue! If you don't get eaten by wolves.

It would help siting the fort in terms of defensible terrain and, should minerals get larger in their deposits so that a settlement will actually be a dedicated silver mine, help you sample locations before you finally drop your shafts.

As well, potentially making for expansion of where you can embark- as it stands, there is no real way to get your wagon up into the mountains, to make the Castle on the Cliff with that nasty winding trail that the passenger coaches must take to reach the Count, except having a huge embark area. So you could carve a path into the mountains as you go- though, I suppose it'd be more likely that a dwarf make a tunnel as such.

edit: minor fixes to readability
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets