Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a problem with alcohol.  (Read 1586 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
I have a problem with alcohol.
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:49:28 pm »

No, not that problem, I've made peace with that one.

I'm trying to burn an image to a DVD with Alcohol 120, and it just won't happen.  I tell the thing to start burning the image, and I get a box that says "insert an empty disc into the following DVD-Recorder" and even lists the drive I'm using as having and Empty DVD in it, but just won't do anything after that point.  Anybody know how to make this damn program do what it says on the tin?  Other programs that might work?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ignoro

Re: I have a problem with alcohol.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:54:16 pm »

I use burnatonce personally, and I've never had trouble. You might give it a try.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:46 am »

I can't make burnatonce work either.  It says "drive does not accept cue sheet variant" whateverthehell that means.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:23:04 am »

It might just have been me, but I remember one time, when I had bought a bunch of blank discs, my computer wouldn't allow me to write to any of them. Specifically, it acted as though one wasn't inserted, as in your case. It was using a completely different program, but the same might apply to your case. If you happen to have other discs around, try a few of those, preferably ones of a different brand or type. Just to see.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:56:04 am »

Many many things could be going wrong here. You're going to have to be very specific.

From the sounds of it, you probably are trying to get a DVD-RW to write on a DVD+R? Or vice versa? Maybe you're trying to burn from a .cue file and it doesn't accept that? Maybe Alcohol 120% is reading from a virtual drive? Maybe your empty DVD actually has data on it and can't be used any more? Maybe you got a bad DVD? Etc etc etc etc...

Try to work us through step by step everything you're doing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:02:44 am »

I've run into that myself, but I'm pretty sure that's not it now.  I know this pack of disks works, because I've written plenty of basic data storage.  I know it's the specific disc because I've tried three different ones.  I even know it can see the disk, because it says "no disc" if it's not there, and "empty disc" when I put it in.

Arg.

Okay, editpost, whole process.  I'm using a DVD-RW burner, on a DVD+R.  As stated, I've been using this drive and these disks just fine.  The file is a .cue (which points to the .bin right?).  It's being read from the hard drive.  Every disk has been fresh out of the stack, all good so far.

Every other step by step is in the first post.  I just hit the image burning wizard, select the file, accept the default parameters (according to the online FAQ, this should be fine, there's nothing I see that would cause a problem), and it just sits there when initializing, saying it needs an empty disc despite clearly seeing one.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:23:23 am »

I once attempted to burn an iso to cd using MagicISO. These aren't exactly the same circumstances as yours, but for one reason or another, every burn with that program would fail after a few seconds. The disk was treated as empty, meaning whenever inserted, Windows would ask what to do with an empty disk. Burners treated it as having been written on.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »

I've never heard of a DVD-RW being able to write on a DVD+R (though it can read it), maybe it's some new technology.

In any case, you mentioned it's just this DVD? Why don't you use another one in the stack and see what happens?

You could also try opening the DVD+R in My Computer and see what happens. If it's usable, you should open fine to an empty DVD. Occasionally, when you burn a DVD and the system says there's an error before it burned anything, it might actually have burned some dummy data onto the disk and made it unusable. It's rare but it happens. You can test this by trying to burn it on a friend's computer or something.

Lastly, why not use some professional burning software? Alcohol 120% is a bit... unique in its purpose and wasn't really built around DVD burning in mind. It's more of a tacked on feature. In fact, all of the software mentioned here are the same... You wouldn't let your little sister handle your Ferrari, even though she can *technically* handle it.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:12:25 pm »

I can't decide if this thread belongs in "Life Advice", "Various Nonsense", or "General Discussion", but I'm damn sure it doesn't belong here.

Whatever the case,  I wish you luck with Alcohol 120, because I never figured out how to use it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:31:20 pm »

Hm, I am using Nero since many years....never had any problems with that.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:56:43 pm »

I boycott nero for their horrible commercial file format.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.