Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Biology: Inter-Part Encumbrance?  (Read 1587 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
New Biology: Inter-Part Encumbrance?
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:08:06 am »

Is it possible for the new body parts to obstruct/cover other body parts?

For example, say we have some scales/plates that grow on a creature's fingers, using Iron as a template and made to be very thick and heavy. Would these affect the creature's dextrousness? Could an entire solid shell grow around the creature's hands, preventing all use of dextrousness?

If so, this could lead to some VERY interesting applications. Especially if such parts could wither away with age.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: New Biology: Inter-Part Encumbrance?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:23:51 am »

Even current body parts can be marked as internal. The upcoming body parts can cover things in a more precise way, yes...

Code: [Select]
This command lets you establish a relationship between bodyparts within their parent bodypart.  The number establishes the extent to which the relationship holds (only used for bodyparts, not the tissue relationships above).
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:CHEEK:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:CHEEK:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:LIP:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:LIP:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:EYELID:AROUND:EYE:50]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BP_POSITION:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:FRONT]

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:RIB_TRUE:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:5]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:RIB_TRUE:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:5]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:RIB_FALSE:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:5]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:RIB_FALSE:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:5]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:RIB_FALSE:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:LIVER:5]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:RIB_FLOATING:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:LIVER:5]

... but I highly doubt they'll affect range of motion.  The function of GRASPs isn't tied to their exposed-ness in any way, and I'm not sure that it should be as a general rule -- it seems kind of anthropocentric to say that keratinized/chitinous body parts are inherently less precise than soft, fleshy ones.  More specific rules might work, but the game lacks a generalized mechanism for specifying a level of function for "interactive" body parts like stances, grasps, eyes, etc. -- you either have them or you don't.

Also there's no dexterity attribute, new or old.  Agility is still applied to the body as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:26:49 am by Footkerchief »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:39:03 am »

Now say we had a shrimp-like creature with claws covering all the little appendages in the front...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:51:02 am »

Now say we had a shrimp-like creature with claws covering all the little appendages in the front...

I was thinking more along the lines of eggshells.

Say you have a walking "egg". Your hammerdwarves attack it. The carapace shatters, and the fifty spiked tentacles underneath are now no longer encumbered.

Not necessarily pertinent, but has some applications, such as infant forms which are born with encumbring body parts that wither off later in life.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:27:59 am »

So what happens when a grasper is internal?

say...one gives demon entrails the ability to grasp.

Does the entrail strangle the dwarf through the external organs or does the organ require to be external to attack external objects?

Secondly: by encumberance I read 'excessive weight' as in being so heavy or armoured that max speed is reduced.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:29:52 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:47:27 am »

I wonder if I should post a suggestion about this...

Anyway, there's something interesting I found out while playing with Battletech, and that's hit charts.
Basically, for every facing of a creature, you have a list of parts it is possible to hit.

They could exist in the form of:
[BODY:HUMANOID:BLA:BLA:BLA]
[BODY_CHART:FRONT:ANY]
[BODY_CHART:REAR:ANY]
[BODY_CHART:LEFT:UPPERBODY:LOWERBODY:HEAD:LEFT]
[BODY_CHART:RIGHT:UPPERBODY:LOWERBODY:HEAD:RIGHT]
[BODY_CHART:PRONE:ANY]
[BODY_CHART:TOP:HEAD:UPPERBODY:LUA:LLA:LH:RUA:RLA:RH]
[BODY_CHART:BOTTOM:LOWERBODY:LUL:LLL:LF:RUL:RLL:RF:LLA:LH:RLA:RH]

Basically, every chart lists the major bodyparts, by token or type, that could be hit on a creature from a certain direction. Since the parts now have relative sizes, there is no need to define relative probabilities inside the charts. I think it's a pretty decent idea..
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:54:49 am »

^^^ You posted that in the NFotF thread a while back, and I thought it was a good idea and posted the quote below.  You didn't respond then, so I'm hazarding a guess that you didn't see it.

^^^ Are you talking about, like, directional profiles or something?  That's an interesting idea.  Perhaps to keep the "silhouettes" simple, you could make use of the body tree's hierarchical structure -- i.e., for the silhouette from the left side, you just specify something like:

[PROFILE:LEFT:LUA:400]
[PROFILE:LEFT:LUL:400]
[PROFILE:LEFT:RUA:25]
[PROFILE:LEFT:RUL:25]

Where LUA, RUL are left upper arm, right upper leg, etc. and the numbers are... percentages or something.  I'm not sure how exactly those would mesh with the BP relative sizes.  But anyway, the point is that the hit biases cascade down the body tree so that the fingers connected to the right arm are also more likely to be hit from the right side.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:46 am »

Hm. Maybe I did, but I was probably in a hurry somewhere. :) Anyway, that particular way is inefficient, especially since it's unnecessary to define individual percentages. That's only a part of the system I'm thinking of, btw. I wanted to include attack size, and attack patterns.

Attack size is Just What It Says On The Tin - the size of the attacking object. Since we have overall body size and relative part sizes, it's not too difficult to see if an certain attack will be larger than a certain part. Think a hammer strike against a rat. A rat's size (under the new system) will be around 1800-2000. Its body will be around 1000-1200 of that. If you hit the rat with a maul with an attack size of 1500, and hit the body, you will have the 300-500 propagate away at the neighboring parts, equally - to all limbs, the tail, and the head. The proportional reduction in attack size will lessen the damage dealt as well. On the other hand, think a dragon against a ballista bolt. The dragon's size, if we assume its size under the new system to be 20000, is sufficiently big, quite enough to make any attack affect only one part. However, a ballista bolt is large, somewhere in the 4-5k region. Hitting the main body will hardly propagate the damage further, but hitting the foot will likely cause damage to the leg as well, and hitting the upper arm will likely shed off some damage to the body.

Now, attack patterns. These are fairly simple. First you have the "COMBO:X", that chooses several parts at random and hits them, as would be if you're pounced on by something large or hit by, say, several tentacles. And combo attacks, too. Then there's "CHAIN:X", that chooses a starting part and goes from it along the body tree, attempting to hit parts consecutively, used for slashing attacks. And finally the "SINGLE:X", a variant of the combo that attacks the same part several times. Added to the patterns is the RANGE, which works similar to the size but affects not the damage propagation but the target choice for multiple-selection attacks - so that you can't slice a dragon in half with one stroke of a shortsword. Of course, the attack size still works for multiple parts hit.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:09:10 pm »

Secondly: by encumberance I read 'excessive weight' as in being so heavy or armoured that max speed is reduced.

That's one thing I had hoped for. The "Eggshell" of a nascent form could be so heavy that the creature can't move, but is relatively protected.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:22:53 pm »

That's one thing I had hoped for. The "Eggshell" of a nascent form could be so heavy that the creature can't move, but is relatively protected.

Or on a grander scale, demons could have an [ADAMANTINE_PRISON] "bodypart" that is immune to pretty much everything, including attacks from the inside but falters after roughly 10.000 years.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE