Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Interesting gamasutra article about AI  (Read 3420 times)

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting gamasutra article about AI
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 10:37:59 pm »

I'm going to continue on these new rails. The easiest way to make someone look stupid when they criticize your english is to say "English is not my first language" if you do a whole much more than that and you loose your moral high ground.
The great game of Warlocks!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 07:25:29 am »

Honestly, Heph, you using "an" instead of "a" does get a little visually distracting sometimes.

I don't say anything about it because I don't want to be a jerk, and I realize English isn't your native language, but as someone who speaks English natively, it does look rather odd and jarring.

Aside from that, your English is usually pretty good, I think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 07:31:32 am »

At least it ain't lolcat speak...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 12:22:27 pm »

To be honest, I don't really see the problem. Though I am really only bothered by language when it is yopcolteel nurstunnadblae ayonbyne. After all, the point is understanding. As long as we can understand Heph, is there really any problem?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 07:51:02 pm »

Not really, but the efficiency at which you read depends on you expecting certain things from it. After reading a lot of posts with "an" instead of "a", I swear I wind up accidentally seeing it in other things I read, because it messes with my intuitive expectations of what I'm reading. Keep in mind that when reading things quickly, you sort of take in entire chunks at once.

It's not a big deal or anything, and usually I can understand what he means fairly well. Oddly enough, a simple repetitive error like using "an" all the time messes me up more than a general lack of fluency, since it's highly repetitive and, well, see the above paragraph.

It's not that it's the biggest deal in the world, it's just that I assume Heph would want to improve his English skills, and this seems like an appropriate time to mention it. I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, and I realize that learning a second language is quite hard.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3]