Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prioritizing  (Read 521 times)

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Prioritizing
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:22 pm »

I have no idea if It's been done, and I don't know if there's any such search term for this, but how prioritizing works, is making micromanagement of dwarves more easier.
Like, You would be able to prioritize labors. IE: High Priority on mining, thus the dwarf, when possible and superceeding any other labors, will go mine, so he won't wander off to go, Oh, I don't know, haul a piece of lumber 5 miles away, while there are 20 peasants already ready to haul stuff. And then it should go from very high, to very low. A list would be something like.
Very High - Does first than any other job, and will not sleep, rest, or eat until it is done.
High - Do first, but balance with other things
Normal - Like default, does it, maybe does it, maybe GO TAKES A NAP.
Low - Make this the last thing he should do.
Very Low - The very last thing he should do

And then there should be like
Preset 1 - Do when nobody is doing this labor
Preset 2 - Do this labor when you have free time
Preset 3 - Do during a siege - Very High Priority

Think of these, it'd make things more easier, instead of your ADHD'd dwarves going to do something else while he was supposed to build a wall to stop a flood from destroying your fortress.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Prioritizing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:04 pm »

A suggestion to modify this.  You can list all jobs and order them.  So the dwarf who can do those task will find the task available closest to the top of the list.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.