Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baby care  (Read 695 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Baby care
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:35:02 am »

Dunno if it is intentional that childcare is sexually biased (exclusively so!), but I'd rather have the baby generate carry/feed/water jobs for any closest (genetically) next of kin should mommy be indisposed in any way.
Even going as far as rating friends and acquaintances as distant relatives.

I don't understand the way dwarffathers ignore the cries of their dehydrated spawn, while there are no sexual biasses for dwarves in any profession.
Unless fathers are supposed to be uncaring towards children, then it is ok.
I would expect other females to adopt the child though.
And goblins I'd expect to try to steal babies from each other. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Baby care
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:18:38 am »

It seems likes it would be kind of hard to wrestle a squad of armed goblins to death with a baby in your arms, you know?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27:52 am »

I fail to see how that relates to fathers picking up the care from a deceased mother?

A mother-wrestler, on duty, has no qualms about wrestling a goblin axelord while holding her baby you know.
Naturally she drops the infant instead of beating the goblin with it, but the effect is rarely less gruesome in the end.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:32:48 pm »

1: Move to Suggestion Thread

2: See the Gender Differentiation Thread

3: Post about cultural differences in child care based on sex, relation or pay.

4: Profit!!!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:54:30 pm »

Well, assuming they feed on dwarven milk *snicker*, mommy would probably need to do the feeding

We'd need more detailed growth process instead of 1 year old babies popping up and starting to talk with others before we can plan any fancy stuff

And no, no maggot milk! That's how those things breed, there's no other reason why a maggot would excrete it. You cook it for a reason

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:56 am »

I don't understand the way dwarffathers ignore the cries of their dehydrated spawn, while there are no sexual biasses for dwarves in any profession.

Ehm...well it looks like that the evolution of the dwarves has failed. Dwarven parents don't even care, if their kids are dying...just give them quality booze and let them mess around in a legendary dining room.  ;D

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:50 pm »

I'm not certain WHAT mommy feeds the infant, but I suspect dwarf babes cannot get through the day without alcohol.
So loss of mum could easilly lead to alcoholism...maybe I just uncovered the underlying cause of the general dwarf dependency on booze! Too many orphans! ;)