Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installation crashes.  (Read 793 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Installation crashes.
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:37:14 am »

A friend of mine has tried installing DF from all 4 mirrors on the front page of the site: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

But to no avail. DF crashes his computer whenever he tries to run it. He says he hears the intro music on a black screen, then nothing, and then it crashes. Then he reboots the computer, and Windows says it has recovered from a serious error.

He does not have Vista and his computer is nicer than mine, and mine can handle it, so I don't think it's related to simply not being able to handle it.

None of the 4 mirrors work for him. Can anyone help think of what the problem might be and then suggest a solution?

Edit: I just archived my DF folder into a .rar file, sent it to him, had him WinRar it out, and he started it up.
Did the exact same thing and crashed his computer.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:07:03 am by Protactinium »
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Installation crashes.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:38:51 am »

Lots of useful information in that post.  Any specs for his computer?  Make sure he updates his video card drivers.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:00:43 pm »

We don't exactly know; what's that thing I can type into the Run command from the start menu that brings up the specs? Dxtdiag or something like that.

And like I said, his computer is better than mine in every way, including the video card junkyjunk (especially that) and I can run Dwarf Fortress perfectly (relatively).
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 01:59:35 pm »

Doesn't matter if his is 'better' than yours.  Run dxdiag, and output the results, find the updated drivers for his video card as well.  Whenever windows crashes, does it give you a BSOD?  If so, try and get a glimpse of what it says.  Exactly, no mumbo-jumbo pattering around the subject.  One line ought to really stick out, I need to know what it says.  On this example it's the third section, where it says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:03:12 pm by Taritus »