Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: masterpiece bolts  (Read 1845 times)

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
masterpiece bolts
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

i stationed some marksdwarves at the magma to deal with the imps, once they came to the right z level they were shot,

BUT one of the marksdwarves shot a volley of masterpiece bolts into the lava causing a masterpiece[..]has been lost *5
what caused some serious problems to my bonecrafter X_x

madpeople

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: masterpiece bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

i was thinking that items which are designed to be used in such a way that may lead to their destruction probably shouldn't annoy their creators if they are destroyed.

they should expect that their bolt is going to get fired somewhere, and there is a chance they will never see it again. (then they could just stay calm and make some more...)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

I agree completely. I mean if I made a masterpiece hand grenade, I wouldn't be shouting at people "don't throw it! it may blow up!"

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

he made it X_x
he broke to limbs of my mayor when he tantrumed during a meeting but then he had a meal in the dining room and went from very unhappy to ecstatic

too bad he still wants to meet the restin mayor~~

and i wanted to suggest to completely remove the art defying feature from ammunition

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

lol....went into the dining room and shot from very unhappy to ecstatic...

That's what I love about Dwarf Fortress. Your basically controlling a hole in the ground full of short people who have terrible mood swings.  :D

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:
I mean if I made a masterpiece hand grenade, I wouldn't be shouting at people "don't throw it! it may blow up!"
Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

A dwarf should still complain if his masterpiece ammunition is wasted, but not tantrum, and maybe not care about it at all depending on how much damage had been caused by it. On the other hand, the bolt that killed 100 goblin leaders being lost to lava during TRAINING should anger more than the dwarf that made it. Unless those bolts were common, then they should be just somewhat upset at losing a legend they had made outside of actual combat.

But that is just my opinion.

Eh?
Eh!

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>A dwarf should still complain if his masterpiece ammunition is wasted, but not tantrum, and maybe not care about it at all depending on how much damage had been caused by it. On the other hand, the bolt that killed 100 goblin leaders being lost to lava during TRAINING should anger more than the dwarf that made it. Unless those bolts were common, then they should be just somewhat upset at losing a legend they had made outside of actual combat.

But that is just my opinion.</STRONG>

Being able to set a minimum/maximum quality threshold for bolts used for training would also be nice. I'd rather not have my masterwork bolts used for training, assuming someday that that wouldn't just naturally result in large scale madness and mayhem from the original creator of the bolt.