Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strawberry jam  (Read 3114 times)

spu00trb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry jam
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 08:58:00 am »

Spoilage and all its assosciated food processing would be a great addition to the game. Espescially combined with making food production in the winter a little more restrictive and having dwarves demand a more varied diet than dwarven ale biscuits.

You could salt meats, dry fish, smoke meats, pickle vegetables, make jams and so forth in an effort to lay in supplies for the winter.

Each food could be assigned various characteristics to define how it behaved

Spoilage - How quickly it goes off. Fresh Strawberries would last only a short time, whereas unprocessed wheat would last an enormous amount of time.

Edibility - You can eat fresh strawberries straight away, the same cannot be said for rice. You can eat meat raw, but it comes with a risk of illness.

Nutrition - Some foods are better for dwarves.

Taste - Dwarves are cheered up by tasty foods, and get bored with bland foods.

So during the summer you'd be eating berries and vegetables and so forth, but you'd have to be pickling and salting stuff for the winter or your dwarves would become hugely bored and angry while they chewed through nothing but wheat bread for the 4 months of long winter facing you.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

I've done it. I modded in strawberry jam. I now can mod in prickle berry jam and sunberry jam. It only took me an 45 minutes and 3 new worlds. However before I release this mod I would like to get some input as to what should be in the Jam Mod, what jams and other processed, milled, brewed items should be in, what are their value, and anything else that comes up.

Notes:
I have only tested the ability to produce jam at the farmers workshop using vials. The rest is just theory right now but should be correct. It can be made at the mill or farmer's workshop. However the mill doesn't give it a container.

Please discuss what was explained above. Specifically the value.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

Is it edible? If so, how'd you manage that? I can see [COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED] working for the milled type, but what about the extract?
(Oh, and how'd you stop it from putting the milled jam into a bag?)

Andrew

• Bay Watcher
  • ░░░░░░
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

Do they eat the vial too?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Hey you only asked to make jam, nobody said anything about eating it.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »

Okay now I said I have been able to process jam to vials at the farmers workshop. The rest was just theory. I tested things on Monday and again tonight but not in between due to university. They do not eat the jam from the vial. As well there seems to be a bug where the jam does not get put in a food stockpile. This may be true for other extracts as well. The jam is cookable. Also add still to the list of things where it can be processed. I should be able to work out everything tommorow night. However I would like to get some input to the Jam Mod.

What jams and other processed, milled, brewed items should be in, what are their value, and anything else that comes up.

Value of Current Goods:
Strawberries: 2
Strawberry Wine: 2
Longland Grass Flour: 20
Sunberry Drink: 5
Golden Salve: 100

This should give a baseline for the value of jams. I'm currently looking at the 20-30 range. Different Values for different jams. Also other products as well. It may be late tomorrow I also have to make titanium.

Discuss.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>
Discuss.</STRONG>

Well, let's see, you can see... can we get some new plants for underground farms? perhaps some star mushrooms, that glow, or some other new crops? And on a similar subject, some plants like cabbage that aren't fruits, but are edible. Let's see Cave Squash and ohh... Titan Gourd for the surface. OHH! the dwarf cabbage could be something like 'musk leaf!' Forget it, I have some modding of my own to do!

*PTTG has claimed a computer terminal*
*PTTG has begun a mysterious construction!*

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

Having looked at things more closely and done some more testing I have learned:
1.) How to add new plants
2.) To process plants with out a container can only turn them into thread. Strawberry thread?
3.) Process to bag gives only leaves. Strawberry leaves.
4.) Can process to barrel or vial however the jam is not edible. It can be cooked.
5.) Milling will put the jam into a bag. Sticky bags. That previously contained sand.
6.) Can extract at the still to vials. Don't know if it is edible then.
7.) Milling, Barreling, or vialing quintuples the quantity.
8.) I can name the jam what ever I want.
9.) Tasks at the smelter have moved to the raws. In all of the other cases it takes 1 berry to produce 5 jam. At the smelter it is possible to take 1 berry, 1 sugar, and anything else to make 1 jam. Or some other combinations.

So what plants should be processed to where.
Suggestions:
Strawberries to Vials
Prickle Berries to Vials
Sun Berries to Vials
Cabbage to Bags through farmers workshop
Fisher Berries to Vials

Jams will have a high value to make them more acceptable by the user.

Subterranean plants should not just be like normal plants with cave added in front of them. There are already none fruit plants, Quarry bush is a good example. Also reading the Raws shows that plump helmets are mushrooms.

code:

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]

But back to the suggestions.
What plants where?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

Nevermind someone else is making a similar mod and beat me to it.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

I missed this post, but if radar is ever implemented, we could use barrels of jam as projectiles to disrupt enemy communications.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>I missed this post, but if radar is ever implemented, we could use barrels of jam as projectiles to disrupt enemy communications.</STRONG>

Watch Space Balls much?  :D

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 02:08:00 am »

uh. this isn't super complicated! just look at the "Sweet pod" entry and copy/paste. sweet pods process into dwarven syrup barrels.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 04:53:00 am »

Here it is:

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:BERRIES_STRAW_WILD]
[TILE:58][COLOR:4:0:0]
[NAME:wild strawberry][NAME_PLURAL:wild strawberries]
[DRY][BIOME_NOT_FREEZING]
[VALUE:2]
[GENPOWER:1]
[DRINK:strawberry wine:5:0:1]
[DRINKVALUE:2]
[EXTRACT:wild strawberry jam:6:0:0]
[EXTRACTVALUE:20]
[EXTRACT_STILL_VIAL]
[EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[SEED:0:0:1]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFSTRING:vivid red color]
[SEED:0:0:1]

Replace the entire strawberry entry in your matgloss_plant.txt file with this.
Replace [EXTRACT_STILL_VIAL] with [EXTRACT_BARREL] if you want it to go in barrels instead of vials.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]