Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Command: Prospect  (Read 855 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Command: Prospect
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

My miners are doing a lot of exploring, now that there's so much more mountain out there to mine.  And when they hit a vein of ore, it has become a chore to watch them continuously as they follow it to each end.

So I propose a Prospect command: You designate a single square of ore, gems, or economic stone.  The miner then mines that square.  He then checks all the squares adjacent to that mined square.  If any of those adjacent squares contain the target ore/gem/stone.  Then he designates those---on his own---for prospecting.  

That simple algorithm should carry the miner to the end of the seam.  And if you enter the seam in the middle then you prospect both sides, and eventually the miners will follow it to both ends.

This would reduce a lot of tedium for me, and I assume for many other players.  It wouldn't replace the current mine command, because there are lots of situations where you wouldn't want the miner to follow the ore.  But in the current version my miners are spending less than 20% of their time carving grand halls for living, working, and defense.  All the rest of my digging is exploration, and then tediously following out each vein square by square.

Darwinism

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: New Command: Prospect
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

I would love to see something like this so I don't have to a) babysit all the way through a vein or b) strip-mine a huge area where I think the vein'll be.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:20:00 am »

What a great idea!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:32:00 am »

Now that stones laying around don't cause lags, I've taken to just designating 3 or 4 levels as living/working space and literally strip mining the rest.

only takes 1 or 2 screens per 'layer' (i.e siltstone layer, gabbro layer, and so on) even on the smallest fort size for you to have enough of all the ore your fort has available to last forever.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!