Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven coming of age  (Read 688 times)

sideburns17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven coming of age
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

So I only looked through the core components and some of the bloats, and I'm not a regular reader of the forums, so forgive me if this has been said before, but...

I think it'd be neat if, after a child is old enough to become a real active member of the society, you could assign it a task it had to complete before it could join the community. That task could be forging a sword, or chopping down X trees, or killing N antmen, or even something like killing a wolf with only a shield and a spear and a loincloth. It could be optional, with some reward, like starting off a class with a higher skill, but with the risk that they would fail (which would probably mean die/be maimed). If you tell your munchkins to leave the map to slay a dragon, they probably won't come back, but if you tell them to mine out a new kitchen, then they'll probably have a higher rate of success.

This could also serve as a nice population control, and a more humane way of killing off those pesky kids.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven coming of age
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:48:00 pm »

Seems like a good idea, but the skill level raising alot just cause he chopped down x amount of trees or mining out a room alone does not sound appealing.
I think if you want them to grow to be a good miner when they just become of age then they should stick with there parents while they are children and the growth of skill is slow.
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven coming of age
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

How about an apprenticeship system instead?  Where you can assign a child to follow an adult with the skill you want the child to have and the child can slowly pick it up.  You still wouldn't be able to control the child otherwise.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur