Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone to wood  (Read 1023 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone to wood
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »

I know this is frequently asked, at least it was. I want to turn my over abundance of stone, into wood due to the lack of it on my map, and the lack of traders i get. Can any of you modders lend a hand to a novice dwarf fort modder.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone to wood
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »

embark on a map with more wood/trade if you want more wood/trade?

You'd have to make a new smelter reaction in order to mod in a stone->wood thing, but I'm not sure how. And if you do, you'd need to generate a new world anyway for it to work.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

deepwatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:40:17 pm »

If you have magma and/or obsidian on your map, try my obsidian mod.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30214.0

If will allow you to do use obsidian in a tricky way so you still need
wood but you can create beds, ashes and others out of obsidian.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »

Since you have already embarked, you will need to edit one of the existing reactions in the reaction file.

I suggest something you don't foresee your self ever using.

Now, once you pick your reaction (I tend to edit rose gold if I'm in a pinch) simply remove the brackets from the parts you don't want. For rose gold, this would look like:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]
[NAME:make rose gold bars]
[SMELTER]
REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER
PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD
[FUEL]

Doing it this way saves the reaction (should you ever want it again in your current game for some reason) while letting you edit in whatever you want. The next thing to due is add the following to the rose gold reaction (before the fuel tag):

[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:OAK]

You may or may not want to remove the brackets around the [FUEL] tag as well, depending on whether or not you have magma.

Final result looks like this:

[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]
[NAME:make rose gold bars]
[SMELTER]
REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER
PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD
[FUEL]

edit: Sorry if I'm treating you like an idiot, just trying to put it all in one post to minimize any questions you might have.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:00:10 am »

@sinergistic: is there a reason you didn't change the name? would that break it or did you forget? :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:00:04 am »

I used something like this

[REACTION:BARF_WOOD]
[NAME:get wood]
[SMELTER]
[FUEL]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 05:40:45 am »

@sinergistic: is there a reason you didn't change the name? would that break it or did you forget? :)

I would assume it's because if you create a new reaction AFTER you've genned a world, then it breaks the world.

This explanation seems geared for new folk who have just learned that they need a zillion logs to make a functioning Dwarven Perpetual Motion Machine And Goblin Grinder - they don't want to regen the whole world just for a handy reaction.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »

You can change the [NAME: ...] tag, and that will change the name in the game, just don't change the [REACTION: ...] tag. As to why he didn't, he probably just forgot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »

I didn't forget, I just never bother. Fluff, basically ^_^

edit: which isn't to say that I would make a unique name for a new reaction, I just don't bother changing the existing ones, even if I'm modding it. I only typically change one or two different reactions, depending on what I'm doing, and it's to much of a hassle renaming them all the time.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:36:50 pm »

I would assume it's because if you create a new reaction AFTER you've genned a world, then it breaks the world.

Deleting a reaction will break the world.  Adding a new reaction won't do any harm, but you can't use it until you create a new world.

I assume that's because each civ is given a list of available reactions during worldgen in much the same way that they're given a list of available materials based on local biomes.  Even if I'm wrong about the cause, the result's the same.  You can add but not use reactions with an old world, and removing reactions kills the world.