Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications?  (Read 1341 times)

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
Fortifications?
« on: January 04, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

This isn't so much a suggestion as a question. I can see very well that fortifications allow my crossbowdwarves to fire out of my fortress. This is presumably through slits in the rock. However, are incoming shots impeded in any way?
During a recent siege I witnessed goblin arrows flying right through my fortifications as if they were butter and landing in one of my sworddwarves as if he was meat.
Does this happen to everyone else or were the goblins I was fighting eagle-eyed sniper maniacs capable of firing diagonally through straight slits, presumably rebounding from wall to wall several times before sticking a dwarf.
I guess my suggestion would be to make a percentage of incoming arrows stick in the fortifications.
What do you guys think?
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »

I was wondering about this myself.  I'm not sure what the point of fortifications is since goblins seem to shoot right through them, and these outside arrows can wound my dwarves well enough.  I guess they slow down melee a little bit, but my trap-lined corridors are much more effective at that part.

If someone can give stats on % misses from outside fortifications or something, I'll update the wiki.  If the % is zero, then I second the request to make the arrow slits a little more one-way.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

I read somewhere (in the help menus, I think) that fortifications require characters that are not standing right next to them to pass a skill check on their shots. This would imply that an archer of significant skill would be able to fire through fortifications from a distance with relative ease. Remember, these fortifications are large enough to allow stones from catapults and ballista arrows to fly through, also, so I don't think they're only arrow slits.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »

Yeah I noticed that aswell the only thing that sits well for me is they are kinda like crenelations with a pillar here and there so they have roof support

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 02:44:00 am »

From what I have seen in my own forts, anyone can fire thru them just fine. The only thing they do is stop anyone from WALKING thru them. In my first fort to use them, goblin archers and spearmen shredded my archers in seconds, and I didnt see a single missile stopped by the walls. Fortifications should give at least 50% coverage to those inside them, which would mean at least half the invader missiles bouncing off. But thats not what I saw. I no longer use them, except in places where I want to allow free fire, but not free movement. Like a bunker just across the cave river from the main entrance, in case anything gets past my hall. A flier might be able to cross the river with the bridge up, but it cant get to the archers in the bunker. Not with non-breath attacks anyway, unless it can fire a bow while flying!
ho watches those that watch us???

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Problem: How to designate inside/outside of fortification.

It may be possible to attach a 50% missle blocking to a barracks/fortification walls when a missle enters the barracks. This could give a barracks room meaning beyond that of a homeless shelter. Probably limit it to a barracks designated from a armor stand/weapons rack.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

It should be easier than that, as in, if you're adjacent to the fortification, then it provides no projectile resistance.  If you're standing a square or more back, it will stop projectiles (a % of the time).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

There's a skill check for projectiles that were launched farther away from the fortifications.  Whether or not it is currently working is a different question, and I'll test it when I get a chance.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!