Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Init option to limit immigrants!  (Read 1502 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Init option to limit immigrants!
« on: November 03, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

How about a option to limit the immigrant waves? It's really annoying when a wave of 30 immigrants with the same professions come and clog you fortress and eat your food! It would be great if there is a init option to limit to, say, 5 dwarves per immigrant wave! (Something like [IMMIGRANTLIMIT:5] )

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Init option to limit immigrants!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

EDIT:  Wow, oops.

Anyways, that would be good.  It'd help when you're minig out rock and then you get 40 immigrants all at once x_x

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: Sukasa ]

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

I was considering suggesting the same thing.

Note that, like POPULATIONLIMIT, it should be a soft cap; that is, a dwarf and his/her spouse and child should all come together, even if the spouse and/or child would put it over the cap.

Then I could bring it down to 1 and I'd get very periodic immigrations every couple of months, which would let me accommodate them better.  Either this or my ancient Our city has no place for you suggestion!

It would, however, severely mess up migrant groups once those are implemented for real.  Migrant groups would have to draw straws to see who would enter the map, and the rest of the migrants would then have to migrate elsewhere.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:43:00 pm »

Not really. Toady could check if the immigrant group to be generated is aimed at your fortress, if so, limit it based on the cap. Else, put no limit.