Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Schools  (Read 1814 times)

Ememel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://n/a
Schools
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

I'm a bit disturbed that any (adult) dwarf can perform anything, although slow or crude. In real life, when someone without experience tries forging, melting, cutting trees, etc. they risk their helth. I would like to have a risk due to unexperience for some types of work from dabbling (high risk) to no label aka normal (no or low risk). This risk could be lowered if, say, an experenced worker is in the area. Another solution is schools ("Legendary story halls") where experience can be gained slowly, but safely.

Schools (or other named intitutions with the same function) make DF a bit less wild, but there is the possibility of simply implementing risk without any safe workaround.

Disclaimer: In the procedure of check-every-existing-thred I was lazy and simply searched for "school".

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Schools
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:49:00 pm »

Dwarves are a hands-on, trial and error, do or die sort of people.  

Also, when skills are more refined, there will be penalties for unskilled people doing things they shouldn't.

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

or apprenticeships with masters.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

Here's an interesting thought... the apprentice might get to do the hauling jobs for the master, and yet gain experience in the craft for doing these incidental things.  The apprentice gets food and water/beer, cleans up the room by moving stuff to stockpiles, gets things from stockpiles, etc, and all the while gains experience in the craft, Mr Miyagi style.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

How do the dwarves start then? Do you have to have some skilled dwarves in every profession when you first move into your fortress or are you inept travellers going to fell trees on top of them selves and end up loosing digits trying to make doors. Unless getting an apprentice comes from the noble of a particular guild. Like the mason's guild representative allows you to tag your noobs for masonry apprentiship.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Yat:
<STRONG>How do the dwarves start then? Do you have to have some skilled dwarves in every profession when you first move into your fortress or are you inept travellers going to fell trees on top of them selves and end up loosing digits trying to make doors. Unless getting an apprentice comes from the noble of a particular guild. Like the mason's guild representative allows you to tag your noobs for masonry apprentiship.</STRONG>

Well, dwarves arriving at new settlements are from other Dwarven cities, so it's assumed that they have experience (depending on what skills you allocate.)

Apprenticeships may seem like a good idea for child dwarves.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

I thought that the dwarves you started with were supposed to be the last survivors of an expedition source and what you ended up with was chosen by you, but plays as if it was by chance all that remained. At least it seems when I play since all I get is a bunch of peasants and a good miner or 2 stuck with animals they can't handle and seeds they can't plant. Then would there be a teaching skill that the dwarves can learn? So that they cannot teach another dwarf to a skill level beyond their teaching skill? Makes hell  for those dabbling teachers. Means before all else you have a teacher's college. Prolly could have this costs the dwarves something, but unskilled swarves are notoriously poor. Government grants?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

I'd suggest that if this is implemented, it's implemented IN ADDITION to the current system, not instead of it, for the reasons given above that you need someone skilled in the first place before you can teach.