Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to prevent Give Water jobs?  (Read 1916 times)

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to prevent Give Water jobs?
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:07:13 am »

Currently playing on a map with no water.  Naturally, I've adjusted to the fact that any dwarf with so much as a papercut is going to die, but the dwarfs haven't figured that out yet.  They're rather insistent on finding nonexistent water to give to their many wounded comrades.

So, can I turn this off somehow?  I'd mercy kill the wounded, but I never really planned too well for this, and the bedrooms aren't hooked up to magma.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to prevent Give Water jobs?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:18 am »

Lock their bedroom doors, maybe?

Don't know if that will work or not, but it's a good possibility.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:18:03 am »

Well, I'll give it a try.  I've now locked all of their bedrooms, except for the one guy who chooses to sleep in the one room I haven't gotten a door put into yet.

Note to self: put hospital beds in magma flooding chamber next time before goblins show up.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:38:59 am »

forbid the buckets? =P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:42:30 am »

Or deconstruct all the beds.  With nowhere to rest, your wounded will drink booze like they're supposed to.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:58:31 am »

Hi!

Well, if you accept that all wounded dwarves are doomed, simply deactivate "Health Care" labor for all dwarves. You need to do it for all immigrants as well, as it is the one default job, but that's the surest way to get rid of that waste of resources.

Deathworks

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:18:08 am »

Forbidding the buckets wouldn't work, as it is, they spend half the time complaining they can't give the water that doesn't exist because they can't find buckets.

I never considered turning off health care, that'll probably work even better than locking them in, which itself seems successful so far.

Ratepe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:17:54 pm »

Locking them in works just fine. 

I had to put down one of my dwarves who had gotten into a quite nasty scuffle with a Werewolf.  He ended up losing both legs, an arm and an eye...poor guy...

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:31:27 pm »

Isn't it possible to nurse injured dwarves back to health by making sure they don't get into a bed? IIRC, this was implied in a solo community fortress, where the guy's bed was removed so he wouldn't die waiting for care.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 06:09:20 pm »

Isn't it possible to nurse injured dwarves back to health by making sure they don't get into a bed? IIRC, this was implied in a solo community fortress, where the guy's bed was removed so he wouldn't die waiting for care.

I tried this for a mechanic with a broken hand in a goblin fortress. The guy got up and did all his work, but his hand didn't heal, even in a year. Either the guy's hand didn't heal because he wasn't resting, or hands take forever to heal. I believe the latter, due to other anecdotal observations I've made in the past (Wounded babies healing without bedrest, a hand injury not healing for a year on another fort, and others).

So I think it could be feasible for injured civilians, but it would probably be a bad idea for injured military dwarves.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:30:04 am »

Currently playing on a map with no water.  Naturally, I've adjusted to the fact that any dwarf with so much as a papercut is going to die,
I've had a dwarf heal a yellow before it parched to death when my water supplies were missing. In a bed. It's not impossible, just improbable.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 06:57:03 am »

Essentially there is a random chance to heal a yellow or better injury (or upgrade a worse injury to yellow) each season change, from what I've read. if you get lucky and get bitten right before the new season, you may suddenly heal. IIRC bed rest increases the chance, and anything worse than yellow cannot heal without bed rest.