Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PTSD for dwarves?  (Read 2265 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PTSD for dwarves?
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:30 am »

I had a minor goblin invasion, which I defeated through basically pure luck (as I'm not that good at defensive setups yet).  One of my guys is dying from red wounds in heart and both lungs.  But he keeps trying to rest, but keeps failing to do so because 'Interrupted by Goblin Wrestler'...which is in a cage nowhere near him. 

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, anyone? 

If that's what's actually happening (whether by accident or really), that is totally cool.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: PTSD for dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:14 am »

No, that's a bug. He should be dead, but he's delaying death to inform you that he can't rest because of the nearby goblin that isn't there.

In any case, he'll drop dead as soon as there's no clear access to a bed. Try building a wall around him, and see if that works.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:28:26 am »

Ah, well, the fortress is crumbling around me as more and more dwarves go insane as their friends die.  So, I'm just bailing on it.  But thanks for the info!

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:04 am »

Thats pure dwarven resilience.

I CAN'T DIE YET, I NEED TO SAY THERE'S A GOBLIN HERE.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:52:05 am »

Do hearts and lungs ever heal?

You could leave him glitching until he gets better!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:13:06 am »

Do hearts and lungs ever heal?

You could leave him glitching until he gets better!

Lungs never heal. I don't think anybody's had a dwarf survive long enough with a mangled heart to see if it heals, since they bleed out quite quickly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:36:55 am »

Thats pure dwarven resilience.

I CAN'T DIE YET, I NEED TO SAY THERE'S A GOBLIN HERE.

I CAN'T DIE BEFOR I HAVE KILLED ALL THOSE DAMN GOBLIN GHOSTS!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:05 pm »

I had that happen to me once. It turned out that a goblin was knocked into my moat and was still alive.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:34:39 am »

So you had a half dead dwarf wandering around screaming: THERE ARE GOBLINS IN THE MOAT WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:56:13 am »

Not quite. Is was more like a bunch of fully bodied dwarves refusing to pick up the battered corpses of their goblin kin after a siege.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:45:57 pm »

So the dwarf is keeping himself alive through the sheer force of his rage? The only way that could be better is if he was also berserk.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:55:27 pm »

Actually, I've experienced the healing of a lung. My oceanside fort had only 5 champions, one in each melee weapon, and they had to encounter a force of about 20 goblin lashers, 20 wrestlers, and 10 pikegoblins, with a pikegob and a lasher as the two local leaders. After limbs and heads and bodies flying away in droves, it came down to 3 of my champions (sword, axe, and hammer. Mace and spear needed a lunch break) fighting the pikegoblins, everyone else was dead. The pikegobs were dismembered hastily, but not before the leader poked my swordsdwarf in the lung and arm and leg, simultaneously. Red wounds to each, but he was recovered ASAP. I freed the barracks up and made him the only soldier off duty, and he socialized until he was superdwarvenly tough (after half a year of time had healed his leg and arm). On a season change his lung went straight from red to white.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »

build a bed near a chokepoint in your fortress and have the now glitching invincible goblin ripper as a defense. at the same time, see if hearts heal!