Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pick material  (Read 901 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pick material
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

The material a pick is made of should affect the speed at which it digs. Plus, without this feature, all the other kinds of picks on the preparation screen are just complete wastes of points.
This is not a signature.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Pick material
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

Or an alternative: picks can dig at the same rate, but picks should be able to wear out.  Stronger-metal picks or better-quality picks will wear out more slowly.  "x(copper pick)x"s dig at 75% rate, "X(copper pick)X"s dig at 50% rate, "XX(copper pick)XX"s dig at 25% rate.  Pre-economy, miners would swap their picks for fresher ones if there are less-worn picks available; post-economy, miners would want to buy fresh picks if they had the opportunity, trading-in their used picks for their present value.

This gives incentive to own more picks than you need, and also incentive to buy more durable picks during embarkation.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pick material
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:14:00 am »

Um, do we really want dwarves paying for the objects they need to do their jobs?  I don't think that that is a very good idea.  Even when the economy is all fixed up, it's still just going to be constant, massive headaches for the player...  I know I wouldn't want to forge nice, valuable steel picks and then have them lying around not being used because none of my miners can afford them.

Your blacksmith doesn't have to buy his anvil.  Your craftdwarf doesn't have to buy his workshop.  Dwarves who are doing jobs for the fortress get the necessary tools loaned to them by the fortress.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One