Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Viking Themed Games  (Read 11353 times)

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
Re: Viking Themed Games
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 05:47:34 am »

Max Payne >_>

Civilization, but just keep your towns near the sea and don't really farm a whole lot.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 09:18:07 am »

Vikings farmed.  In fact, most of them were farmers.  They just liked going on vacation.  And when they were on vacation, they didn't want to trouble anyone with serving them, so they just helped themselves.

Rather nice fellows, really.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 09:39:02 am »

Sorry sir, but Viking mean raiders.

The one who stayed behind wasn't called Vikings (well, probably not by those who never seen the Norse farmers).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 10:00:53 am »

Thank you, Indonesian Muslim, for pointing out my use of a popular term for the sake of clarity when discussing the old Norse.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 10:11:56 am »

I'm making a combat-based game. The engine should be moddable enough to let you make a viking-themed game ;)

I'm kinda planning a Southeast Asia theme on it, I kinda considered a Viking theme. Too bad it's about a year from alpha version, if I keep to schedule.

Medieval Total War: Viking Invasion totally pwned. I enjoyed it much more than the original base MTW. I also like Civilization 3 -Rhye's and Fall mod, the Vikings are some of the most interesting civs to play in that awesome mod. Also, I'm sure someone's made a Mount & Blade Viking mod ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 02:06:51 pm »

Vikings farmed.  In fact, most of them were farmers.  They just liked going on vacation.  And when they were on vacation, they didn't want to trouble anyone with serving them, so they just helped themselves.

Rather nice fellows, really.
I understand that. I'm sure they didn't all die glorious death either, but who wants to play a game as that guy?
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 08:05:42 pm »

Actually there is some truth to be said... Vikings at one point of time did become farmers. It was during an invasion where they basically said "Give us gold or we will take your land" and I think it was england who said "Alright here is some land"... this turned out to be a very smart move for England... who was at this point probably getting used to being attacked and taken over by then.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 12:51:42 am »

I just stumbled upon something in another forum, that immediately made me think of this thread.

Check out Heimdall 1&2, maybe you'll need an amiga emulator (UAE is alright).

I still don't know if those are the games I never got around to play but always wanted to, but hey, at least its worth a look.

edit:
wiki link
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:53:45 am by Puck »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 07:09:05 am »

Northland was Viking-ish.  RTS where you attended to the various needs of a village filled with the buggers.  Actually rather in-depth and interesting as I recall.  Don't remember why I didn't play it more.

Also, here's the Norse/Viking games page on MobyGames:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/mythology-norseviking

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 07:22:48 am »

There was this bland sort of viking game called "cultures" a while back about colonizing the americas..still have it kicking around the house somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:47:44 am by Glacies »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 09:30:04 am »

Northlands is an updated Cultures.
Pages: 1 2 [3]