Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why should I bother with items and crafts?  (Read 1603 times)

BvG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why should I bother with items and crafts?
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:25:30 am »

It seems to be a somewhat undwarfen way, but I stopped doing any crafts, instruments, mugs etc. They're just not worth the effort and dwarfpower. A decently made mug gets me about 10-50 quids, a similar quality heap of roasted food will give between 700 and 20'000. I once easily bought out the first dwarfen caravan that way...

Can anyone give my dwarfes a reason to make non-lethal stuff instead of bone bolts in the craftsdwarf shop?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why should I bother with items and crafts?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:30:11 am »

The only reason would be to make the game harder for yourself. Not that stone crafts are much harder.

I can't think of a good reason other than that though. I guess for noble mandates but that is a one off.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:42:46 am »

While cooking down booze into a lavish meal at Proficient skill can yield a roast worth about 4,000, a very young fort without a skilled cook may need other ways to kick-start the early economy. Stone is plentiful and basically free.  Think of stone mugs as an incredibly low-cost good which can be used to train masons while recovering some value from their time.  Sell them to the elves, who don't realize that stone is basically free!

Late in the game you may want to set up a few workshops for dabbling through proficient masons, turn on mugs/repeat, and let your haulers level up their skills in the hopes that one or two of them will get Agile attributes and be faster at hauling.  Others prefer making stone blocks for this purpose, and using them to make megaconstructions... whatever floats your boat.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:34 am »

Stone crafts are made by stonecrafters. Not masons.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:41 pm »

While cooking down booze into a lavish meal at Proficient skill can yield a roast worth about 4,000

Use syrup instead and you'll easily hit 10,00 at proficient skill :) granted this takes up two dwarves, a grower and a cooker, but both are useful skills unless your playing a no farming game.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Berrylee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:49 pm »

To train a legendary stonecrafter for masterwork obsidian short swords.

Also, decorations. Think if you have a dark obsidian tower, wouldn't it be very appropriate for your dwarfs to wear black dyed clothes decorated with bone?

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 01:31:56 pm »

I love my stone crafter... It's also a great way to use up stone.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:56:03 pm »

I like to think of stonecrafting as a convenient way to make all those excess rocks inside my fortress fit neatly into bins.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 04:13:52 pm »

Hello!

I like to think of stonecrafting as a convenient way to make all those excess rocks inside my fortress fit neatly into bins.

I heartily agree. In addition, it also makes it easier to sell them to anyone as the crafts you make out of a single rock are together lighter than the rock if I am not mistaken.

In addition, they do not rot when some dwarf decides to invite the entire fortress for a 2 month party.

Deathworks

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 04:25:49 pm »

Stonecrafts are just about the best way to get rid of excess stone in your fortress (barring megaprojects, of course). There are enough valuable things in the game that you could make a trade using just about anything; but stone has no real use in your fortress. It's the least valuable to your dwarves. That's why I always get rid of it.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Berrylee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47:55 pm »

The fastest way to get rid of stone is probably to dump the excess into magma though. No bins required, either.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

Let's not forget that if you have obsidian and no good source of a good metal, then stonecrafting is the skill used for those obsidian short swords.  Otherwise, isn't it nice when the general stores are filled to brimming with a bunch of stuff for your dwarves to buy?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:53:57 pm »

I generally think of stone crafting as a way to get people to haul away the rubble from digging out my tunnels.  Beside, what else are you going to do with the legendary stonecrafter who made an artifact granite ring?

And you can always build another shop dedicated to bolt production.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »

Cooking massively expensive meals has always felt somewhat cheaty to me. Seeing as it's a single player game, if you want to sell cooked meals then go for it - that's probably the most efficient way to make wealth after all and it's renewable so there is no real reason not to.. I just chose not to (similar to how I don't cook booze and didn't decorate ammo when that bug was around) because I don't think it's really what Toady intended and it makes an already easy game much easier and (imo) less fun.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:37:36 pm »

The fastest way to get rid of stone is probably to dump the excess into magma though. No bins required, either.
1) Most of my maps don't involve magma. Dwarven atom smashers work too, but I still find it rather gauche.
2) It's wasteful. And I get nasty molten rock items in my stockpile. Bleh.
3) I like to keep my meals for my dwarves. That way I can get away with a single five by five farm plot working maybe one year out of three for booze and food.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.