Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Riddlebell - Community fortress with a twist  (Read 3020 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Riddlebell - Community fortress with a twist
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »

22nd sandstone
No sooner than the caravan had left, 7 new evictees arived at our humble hole in the ground. As can't call it much more than that at this point.Guess the mountain homes didn't like them, or they decided to leave on their own. Well might take them a bit to get settled in, so having them just gather up some more of the lumber laying around, and move some of the stone out of the way of Urist. If he isn't digging, he is smoothing rock, either turning rocks into blocks, or the floors. He is has also mentioned he is gonna crave on the floors later on.

Late winter- In Urists random mining, he came across a patch of magnetite, which I steered him away from, as with the walls in that area also being damp, don't want to waste any of the precious ore.

26th granite- Today the elves managed to find us, so we started preparing to trade with them.  Though while we were hauling goods, an elf pointed out that there were some dwarfs heading this way from the North west. But we didn't have anyone head out that way.... Oh no... more evictees, and they would be going right past the magma pipe. I just hope the critters don't fry them or chase them across the brook. It looked like it could be bad as I could see some smoke in the distance for a bit, but it didn't last long. Though after looking more closely, it seems the new arivals prodded the firey critters out of their home by passing by.

They all made it here safely, and eagerly helped out with hauling stuff up to the depot. After everything had been moved up to the depot, and we were trying to figure out who to send to the depot, the person I least expected strolled right up to the depot...Urist, who has only paid attention to the rocks underground up till now. I have no idea what he is going to do...

Also I have no clue what is going on in the mountainhomes, this many evictees in such a short period of time? Or maybe they are fleeing the oppresive reign of the nobles after hearing about us from that caravan.. They won't tell me anything about it... I just hope the nobles don't decide to move out here as well.

----
OOC Ok, this is the depot situation we have 1970 dwarf bucks(131 overweight) for trade, and the elf's brought this stuff
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here are the 2nd batch of immigrants
Which brings the total immigrant count up to 25 available. If no one else wants the bowyer, it becomes Evergreen's assitant tomorrow afternoon.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 01:07:23 am »

Can i grab that peasant?

Name: Eagle

Orders:
Turn all hauling on except stone, have him be a mason/architect/miner/mechanic/siege operator/siege engineer

He mines determinedly and in a set pattern. He also wishes to build a curtain wall with fortifications, as well as some above ground bunkers for defense. If no one else wishes to, he'll take over the designing of the above ground structures and their layout.

Ill get to designing that stuff a little later, just have my guy carve out some bedrooms and a 16X16 dining hall (only allow me to work on it, ive got some stuff planned for it XD ) and please build me a mason's, mechanic's, and siege workshop somewhere by each other.

Thanks.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 01:22:22 am »

Alright, one of the peasant's will be yours.

The only real changes to the internal fort layout is Urist has done some more digging on the Eastern side of the level with stone. On the farm level a path was carved out to get to some sand, and the temp storage area was enlarged a bit to also get a walled off future farm area on the surface. Just need to muddy the few odd rock parts of it to make use of it all. If you want updated pictures, I can get you those tomorrow afternoon.  As need to wait for Shurikane to decide on what Urist will do with the elf merchants...

I should note, I built the 10x6 underground farm plot in 5X2 areas so there are six plots in there. One is being used for Quarry bushes, others are currently going off of the seeds we have.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:38 am »

I call the mason!  Let's name it Bedrock.

Standing orders:

-Bedrock is Urist's assistant and relieves his master from some of the stoneworking duties.
-Bedrock's priority is to make stone furniture and non-craft useful objects and constructions for the community.  He has been expressly forbidden by Urist not to build constructions on anything that hasn't been engraved yet.  He has also been instructed to make everything he possibly can using blocks.
-If he has nothing to produce, Bedrock defaults to making stone blocks and smoothing/engraving floors to help create "valid" space faster.
-Bedrock hauls stone and furniture.
-Bedrock and Urist trust each other enough to share workshops among each other.

So in short: he's a copy of Urist except he makes and transports furniture instead of digging.

Urist completely ignores the elf merchants.  When asked about them, the following conversation ensues:

"Elves?  They got rock?"

"Of course not."

"SCREW 'EM!  YOU, BEDROCK, BACK TO WORK!"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:25:39 am by Shurikane »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 07:54:39 pm »

Alright... for Jack, keep him hunting! When there is nothing to hunt... have him train.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 07:50:27 pm »

Well, I have not forgot bout this. Just waiting to see if eagle will post some of the digging plans he mentioned. Also waiting to see if more dwarfs get claimed, as I feel nearly 20 some dwarfs with nothing usefull to do is a bit excessive. If people don't claim dwarfs I need to find something for them to do that wont affect the idea behind the fort, as if I start using them to do major things will no longer be as big of focus on the players decisions.

I do check here almost every afternoon, so if have questions, or suggestions as to extra immigrants uses, please ask or say them.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 08:50:39 pm »

Sorry bout that, had school :-\

Carve the dining room like this, make sure to smooth and engrave every tile:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XSCTCCTCCTTCCTCSX

and repeat down

S-statue
C-chair
T-table
X-wall

This should give a very nice dining room, seating at least 50 or so by my estimate.

After i finish that, if we dont have enough chairs/tables/statues, have me build some, then set me to build mechanisms on repeat for a while.

Also, when we start carving bedrooms, i propose to have a large statue garden in a place where everyone going to/leaving the bedrooms has to pass; this should keep up morale.

If you get me an updated picture of the surface and the layer directly under it, ill start designing defenses.

I suggest putting some of our immigrants in the army, with at least half of them marksdwarves.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:52:17 pm by Eagle »

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:06 am »

Here is the full fortress layout http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4374-riddlebell, fort is to the SE of where it loads up.
And 2 pictures showing where there is damp stone. The 2nd picture also has the edge of the magnetite cluster.
Will continue on with the fort this weekend.

I'm probbly gonna use a few of the imigrants to do jobs like fishcleaning, that are helpfull, but have really no impact on the fort. But any job that has choices in how it is done, I will leave for the players. If I use immigrants in the army, they are just going to be untrained wrestlers, used to help out in bad times. or to discover ambushes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:13:21 pm by Hawklaser »

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:39 pm »

Im gonna start the wall from our current wall, along the edge of the stockpiles, and back along the edges to meet up with the current wall again. Leave a 4 tile gap facing the brook for the future drawbridge. The wall will be a single tile thick (for now). We're also gonna need to channel in some water from the brook, incase of a siege.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:11:47 am by Eagle »

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 03:01:32 pm »

Alright, we are up to fall, since no human traders came.

-
25th slate- A huge cloud of smoke rises from the other side of the brook, shortly after we see the intense blaze of a fire coming towards the brook. No one is hurt by the fire, but all are wondering what caused that fire? After the smoke rises, we are able to see 3 imps having a party, following that a handful of the new arrivals go out to rid us of the firestarting imps.

25th Hematite- Our current fishcleaner ran off babbling about some shell this morning, and this afternoon we found him chasing every one away from one of or craft shops. No one knows what he is up to.

28th Hematite- Today the fisherdwarf emerged from the workshop, holding a splendid crown made entirely out of turtle shell, he also noted he now knows a lot about carving bones as well.

15th Limestone- Our wall around our home was finished today, along with the preperations to start above ground farming. We are still working on a roof for the above ground farm though, as never know when some Harpies will return.

16th Limestone- Today the Dwarven caravan has arrived again. We managed to get all of our goods to the depot this time, thanks to some newly made bins, and all the extra help we have. And Strife boldly walked up to the Depot this time.

-----
Trade situation
2320 DB for Strife to trade with
Our Stocks

The above ground farm has been laid out in 8 2x4 spaces, though one is only 7 spaces. We still do not have an anvil. Eagle's dining room, and a handfull of basic 3x3 rooms have been carved out by him, his dining room has yet to have furniture, or smoothing+engraving done, that will begin with the next season. Need extra info, as always just ask. I decided that the same person will not trade 2 times in a row, as to all the military at the moment, that is just the unclaimed, Shurikane's, and my dwarf, that is just to make the trade process go smoother.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 03:13:03 pm »

Can i get an updated fort layout please?

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »

No problem. I'll just start adding an updated map, at each input point, from now on. Which looks like will be Bi-seasonly for the most part.

Heres the link http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4391-riddlebell

1st underground floor, left side, room with beds is the current barracks, the lower room is finished goods storage.

The stone floor- By the stairs is where the rooms got started, and your dining room, just has a couple tiles left to be dug, then will designate for smoothing.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 04:13:58 pm »

Very, very nice. I suggest we knock out part of the wall, and channel out a pond, then rewall it.

Ground level:
http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/shattershard/?action=view&current=Untitled-1copy.jpg
Knock down the red shaded wall, channel out the yellow, rebuild the wall on the gray, and dont forget to make a ramp that will let trapped dwarves escape.

Next level down:
http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/shattershard/?action=view&current=1234copy.jpg
DIG, not channel the gray path out for water, but only dig to within one tile of the brook, then go topside and channel that one tile out. That way theres no channel disrupting the surface. At least not until we build our moat.

Also, channel a square out of the middle of the walled pond and put a hatch over it; that way we can expand the water downwards safely.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:39:09 pm by Eagle »

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:25 pm »

Alright, will do.

Now just waiting to hear from strife on trade input.

Will do the next pair of seasons this weekend, or as soon as hear from strife, which ever comes last. Also since there are currently about 20 dwarfs unclaimed will let people have up to 4 dwarfs, subject to change based on intrest, and a need for dwarfs to be doing stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 08:11:54 pm »

If we have too many dwarves sitting around idle Evergreen will have them start learning how to do herbalism. At least that way they can be useful bringing in a few berries or whatnot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3]