Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wondering about a proxy  (Read 1835 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Wondering about a proxy
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:19 am »

I think that it would be possible to have an eye transplant at the moment, although it is extrememly experimental right now, not to mention expensive. Plus your mind will have to get used to the concept of seeing all over again.

Spoken like a Dwarf Fortress player.  "Can't see the screen to play DF?!?!  We'll crack your skull open and start plugging in wires until you can feel the ASCII!"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:03 am »

The real time nature of Fortress mode is what really makes it all but impossible for blind people to play it. What is important for this is mostly the experience of things, not necessarily the exact location of a square of sand or some such, that wouldn't be efficient, it's the engravings and the artifacts and the wrestlers giving birth during sparring practice. Things that can be related quite easily. He'll have to give me orders, what to make, what to build and where in relation to everything else, and I'll have to be as descriptive as possible about what gets done and how. This first fort, Tattoopaint, is mostly a practice run. A simple map.

Should things go well, I'll find another site with Fun and Magma.

Aleric is definitely intelligent, and I'm sure a lot of you guys were mulling over being the one in my position, because a lot of you are very much supportive of anyone wanting to play this game.

The one thing that did want to do that seems a bit out of reach now is using ascii drawings to attempt to render an image that he can interpret on his refreshable braille display, but it's only a single line not the grid needed to make it look proper.

I did a little research on Refreshable Braille Displays, and found them to be more or less the same in that their display methods. There is one in development here, http://www.tactileresponse.com/refreshable-braille-display.html, that fits what we'd need, but it appears to be in development hell.

If we could find something else similar to that, then the remaining problem is using an ascii character set that's sensible in braille.

!!&!!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 09:04:16 am »

If we did do the adventure game way, it would be terrible one moment,

"Your fortress is glorious and beautiful, everyone is happy."

"A dwarf died retrieving a sock, everyone is throwing a tantrum, what will you do?"
Pages: 1 [2]