Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interesting Worlds?  (Read 2559 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Worlds?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 03:04:16 am »

Yeah, flux would be handy, if I run into any iron ores, which I don't see any areas where I would run into. Plenty of copper, zinc, nickle, and platnum to work with so far though. So will likely just trade for steel bars, and make anything from steel that way.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 04:31:56 am »

Sigh, I've been genning worlds for hours and I still haven't found a single good spot. Starting to lose patience

Civs being named The Thong of Thrusting isn't helping

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 04:37:03 am »

Finding good spots can be a pain. And really no way to tell exactly how good a spot is untill you actualy go into it. I have had a few places I have embarked having the terrain be quite good for defense. Always nice finding a good j shaped area to mine out and carve fortifications.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:46 pm »

woops. i messed about with world gen too much and completely scewed up the text file for the medium world. if someone could post an unedited copy...
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:26:16 pm »

Or you could download the 5 meg game again.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »

Greetings!

Simply change the dimensions for the MEDIUM world back and forth and the values should be reset to the default.

Deathworks

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:51 pm »

Just deleting the worldinit text file works as well :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:49 pm »

I don't usually care if I have flux or not. How is it more useful then magma? I mean, by the time I really need to make high-quality weapons  I can just melt down the gifts the gobbos will send me. Or trade for flux.

Edit: Oops, I saw a comment about flux at the beginning of the thread, not noticing that comment was many months before today's recent reply. Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:44:54 pm by lastofthelight »

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »

Methinks I'm too picky.

All I want is a chasm, magma pipe, cave river, an above-ground brook/stream/etc, and flux would be nice too. In a Savage Tropical shrubland/grassland/savannah....

And preferably under 5x5 tiles. Been genning worlds all weekend, but have yet to find the perfect spot.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:06:13 pm by GenericOverusedName »

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »

Its hard to get tropical anything in the 40-line. The only way is to make large worlds, and keep trying. Toady has acknowledged that theres an issue with the generation of tropical areas.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 06:21:13 am »

I'd like more cold areas. I don't feel properly evil enough living somewhere that doesn't freeze. At least I have haunted seaspray and undead deer to entertain me.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 06:38:43 am »

I just set all the megabeasts (and semimegabeasts) to x10 size for the world init, the world it generates is deficiently interesting (although takes forever to get to the default start date).

The legends do show a few dead megabeasts but for the most part they've been terrorising towns for hundreds of years.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 10:56:56 am »

I have a pretty neat world, were I built my first fortress with a (semi)megaproject.

The site has brook, magma pipe, bottomless pit, flux and sand. No underground water, though, sadly.

It has almost 50 Z-levels and an L-shaped mountain where I built my entrance across the bottomless pit.

This is the fortress (not finished): http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-10168

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's the parameters for the world. The site itself is just south of a volcano, in the extreme north regions. It's a Hot, calm area (I get elephants all the time, though). The only downsides to it is there's no underground water, and that the area is calm.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 [2]