Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Tileset - Take a look  (Read 1469 times)

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Tileset - Take a look
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »

Salutations, gentry.

A while back Dorten made a set of diagonal wall tiles, and soon after someone combined them with the Mayday tileset.  I've been messing around with the results, and have come up with a variant that suits me.  I'll not say it's 100% complete or perfect, but until more objects start to show up in my fort or inspiration strikes me, I'd say version 1 is worth taking a look at.

The most important goal of my tileset was to make the diagonal walls three dimensional, and I'm cautiosly optimistic that I've succeeded in that - walls look more diagonal, more cog-like, if you will.

But there are many other additions - about 35 tiles have been created in all, several more given minor changes.

Here are some examples:

I'd give you more, but my fortress is undergoing a few changes at the moment, and the tour guide is dead.

Here is the tileset:

I found setting the resolution to 1280 by 800 and the grid size to 80 by 50 worked best for me; your mileage may vary.

Please enjoy the set.  Any opinions, comments, suggestions would be welcome.

EDIT: trying to resolve a picture quality issue.
EDIT: still trying.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:12:35 pm by tigrex »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Tileset - Take a look
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:55:19 pm »

I don't care what other may say, I like the first example despite the lack of perfection. I always make little notches in walls for things like statues and coffers and small stockpiles.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 01:51:38 am »

I must be a complete retard, but when I try to install this tile set using the directions on the wiki i get a bunch of pink with a few minor characteristics when i load my fort.  It looks like it worked, but the colors went to hell.  Can anyone help me with this?

edit: I have tried going to the few default (curses) tile sets and all of those work so I don't know what's going on.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:13:15 am by J »

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:32:12 am »

I'm not sure what's happening.  Maybe something's wrong with the specific file I uploaded?  It's what I'm using, but I'll redo it anyway - maybe it'll work.

Perhaps it's because I uploaded everything a bmps.  In my 1st post, one of the pics looks a bit blurry, even though it was sharp in the game.  Sigh.

Try this: 

Same thing, but in jpg format.  You'll have to convert to bmp before use, I think.

EDIT: pnged up
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 04:13:28 pm by tigrex »

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:22:37 am »

Using jpg definitely will not work; it introduces some noise and distortion into the image, so some of the magenta will become off-magenta.  You can tell, looking at it, that the font is a lot muddier than it is in your first post.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:37 am »

I'd suggest saving the files as PNG. You can easily convert them back to BMP on your own.

Your file-uploader is probably compressing the bitmaps, as they're very large files. That'll make noise. And JPG is horrible when it comes to quality, as you've seen.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 04:15:34 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I j'pegged when i should have pinged.

Here's hoping for better results now...

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 06:29:53 pm »

The tileset works now, but I can't figure out what to do to have the tiles stretch to become alittle bigger.  The images are nice, just alittle small to see.  I'll keep messing around with the init file but if anyone knows how to set it up so they become about 50% bigger with less effort I'd appreciate it if they could tell me.

edit: One last comment.  The tileset looks good (aside from being small), but all the the capital O's appear as the ending wall cap or the middle of a windmill.  I'm not sure why, but it is a minor complaint.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:40:24 pm by J »

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:00:36 pm »

Well its been almost 48 hours.  I'll ask again.  Can anyone tell me how to make the tileset bigger?  Or at least appear bigger.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:16 pm »

You just have to increase the resolution.

50% bigger in area or just 50% wider?  What's your preferred resolution?

Fugue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »

Either increase the resolution or decrease the grid size.Make sure to keep the grid size in correct proportion to the resolution.

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »

Not a bigger resolution (I'm running 800x600) I want the tiles to appear or be bigger than they are.  I will try to make the grid smaller.

edit: I can't make the grid any smaller than 80x30 and that was the size i was running before.

edit 2: I think I made a novice mistake of changing the grid size for the windowed version and not the full screen one.  It works now and it is HUGE.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:08:31 pm by J »