Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Damn Cats  (Read 2397 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Damn Cats
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:49 am »

I use a separation mechanism to keep the migratory cats from the immigrants to effectively increase the chance of sterilization, the freshly separated cat will be coaxed into the main ranch loft, then will it's life out so the migraine can't breed and become immune.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 02:52:46 am »

Sneaky Pete's plan seems to be working well.  There are some problems with mine incarnation of it though.  The bridge is only 5 tiles long which can catch alot of animals like horses and donkeys, but cats move too fast and are over the bridge before it opens.  Second is even with restricted traffic zone it caught a royal gaurd so if the lead up is a bit longer it may help prevent that.  I atomized the gaurd anyways cause even though he is legendary in sheild wrestleing and ax use, he's totally useless cause he's a royal gaurd.  Another thing is the bridge can only ling up in one direction, on the other side it keeps getting suspended.

My suggestion is to make two non pet passable doors 24 tiles apart and have a bridge for each direction ten tiles long with room for  the pressure plate and at least one square of restricted traffic area before the trigger. thus the pit would be 20 tiles long filled with whatever deathy devices you need for killing the damn things.  The only problem is where to build it.

Maska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • cvx
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:31 am »

My fort usually has a few cats... who are all locked up in small 3x3 rooms. I make extra bedrooms and workshop rooms that all have a door. When a cat owner immigrates, I set him/her to work only at a lockable workshop and bunk at a lockable bedroom.

It takes about five minutes to get that damn cat in the room and the door completely forbidden. It then lives there for the lifespan of a stone door.

Nobody gets unhappy, because no pets are killed. The cats pathfind no father than two squares, therefore no loss of FPS. They don't propagate either, as I keep them separate.
Pakaa - the Monaco of Finland

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 09:00:04 am »

That's too kind for my blood, the cats came and they made it all personal... well, I'll take them down even if it brings my fort falling in peices around my ears.  Damn the cats and damn the dwarfs that like cats and damn the dwarfs who like the dwarfs who like the cats.  They can all suffer.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:03 am »

The bridge is only 5 tiles long which can catch alot of animals like horses and donkeys, but cats move too fast and are over the bridge before it opens.

Put the pressure plate further away

Say, if one removes prefstring from cats, can they be adopted at all? Mine never adopted anyone when I had no cat lovers. Or would it just result in Urist likes cats for their  ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:17:35 am by Pilsu »

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 04:00:12 pm »

This situation clearly calls for a massive atom smasher.
Or, Carp VS Cats in a semi-flooded arena.
THEN atom smash the survivors!
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »

The only problem with flooding stuff is mud.  Which I hate cause I cant clean it up.  The second problem is of course things growing in the mud, and if you build floors to prevent that then you cant engrave, which is somthing I love doing.  So basicly flooding things is out of the question as an option in any reasonable fort.

feanix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:50 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]