Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Important Old-Fort Queries  (Read 1462 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Important Old-Fort Queries
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:56:12 pm »

As my turn in the World of Traps and Attractions is coming up, I need to know a few things about fort/adventurer interaction before I can start.

1. Can adventurers see through windows that have been constructed in fortress mode?
2. If an extremely long fall is broken by a few Z-levels of water, can the adventurer survive?
3. Can adventurers dive/go down Z-levels while swimming? (They can go down one level, but drown if they stay too long.)
4. How do delays for switch-pulling and devices work in adventurer mode?
5. Are there any objects which both prevent adventurer movement, and can be displaced by adventurer action?
6. Is there a reliable way to ensure that an abandoned fort is populated by monsters?

7. When pulling levers, does one have to be adjacent or on top of the lever?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:52:43 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Important Old-Fort Queries
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:32 pm »

4-Last time I checked levers do not really work in adventure mode.
6-abandoning after HFS breaching, goblin siege, (with civ hostile to your adventurer's) or you could build on a chasm.
5-No, none
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:24 pm »

(u) them, perhaps?
No idea what the u is supposed to be.
But it activates levers last I checked.
Thus, they should work fine.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:23:06 pm »

(u) them, perhaps?
No idea what the u is supposed to be.
But it activates levers last I checked.
Thus, they should work fine.

This can be verified. Also, apparently you have to stand on the lever's tile to use it, but that's just fine, as falling stone is instantaneous.

Also tested No. 2. Apparently, water will break your fall... but you can't swim up Z-levels to escape if it's anything deeper than 2 tiles of water.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:53:28 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:30:41 pm »

Windows? I don't know about windows, but I know you can see through fortifications. I'll have to try this.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:58 am »

you can climb stairs or go up ramps while underwater. you can also climb down them to get below the surface. i used this to hide my adamantium gear in a fort i made a very long time ago, you had to jump into a pool, swim along a short underwater passage hidden at the bottom, then up a short set of ramps into a hidden room, which had an alternative exit.

if you are going to play around with that then make sure your underwater bits are very short, the normal df races cant live long without breathing.

also consider opening sealed rooms or collapsing bridges with caveins activated by levers and supports, as well as simply hiding entrances underwater, and forcing the adventurer to find ways to empty the resovoir to get in.

you can cage and release beasties using levers, but things you have tamed will die on abandon, and the caged creature must have a name or it dies as well. you can name them by feeding them dwarves or pets.

adventurers can see through grates, bars, and fortifications, pretty sure they would be able to see through windows. im going to test this though.

be very sparing with waterfalls. they are pretty nice, but slow things down horribly.

good luck with the fort, ive been hanging out for some decent places to go adventuring in for ages, and the traps and attactions thread has been grinding along ever so slowly.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:43:17 am »

I'm fairly sure you can dive to any depth without stairs or ramps, you just have to be moving in a direction at the same time as diving or rising.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

FoboslC

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »

I just checked the windows part. Built some windows in my fort, blocked one-tile corridors with them, abandoned, walked as adventurer... bingo!.
yes adventurer can see thru windows.