Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Actually doable multiplayer, maybe  (Read 3154 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Actually doable multiplayer, maybe
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

to minimize the abuse of these sent files, you can set a code interger in the file which imports into your game when you activate the invasion/caravan sent. if the interger is already in your game the caravan/invasion wont be sent. you can also have the game delete the file when you get the shipment, as it does with savegames when you abandon your fortress.
een failing lately?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

There could be some issues with modded items.  I mean, what would happen if I sent someone who has vanilla dwarf fortress some dracoroot(plant that makes weak steel) or a chocobo in a cage?

Best way I can think of is comparing the items to a known list of vanilla DF items and either not allowing you to receive it, or sending the required raw files along with it and giving the receiver a prompt to allow the mod.
EDIT: It should probably also add the filename of the mod and creature to the end of the readme to keep with Toady's request and so the receiver knows where the file is so he can delete it if he doesn't like it.

Awesome idea by the way.  That could actually work. I can see it now. "Trading 2 ≡Steel Plate Mails≡ for 100 units of any food, any takers?"

[ January 14, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

I'll just repost this, as no one responded and it does solve the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>How about invaders loaded from a file don't drop loot?</STRONG>

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

I don't like the above idea. It would feel too forced, and this is, after all, a single player game. If you want to cheat, good for you.

This would be awesome, though. Especially if it was tied to some kind of central server so you could upload/download and load these quickly.

[ January 14, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>There could be some issues with modded items.  I mean, what would happen if I sent someone who has vanilla dwarf fortress some dracoroot(plant that makes weak steel) or a chocobo in a cage?

Best way I can think of is comparing the items to a known list of vanilla DF items and either not allowing you to receive it, or sending the required raw files along with it and giving the receiver a prompt to allow the mod.
EDIT: It should probably also add the filename of the mod and creature to the end of the readme to keep with Toady's request and so the receiver knows where the file is so he can delete it if he doesn't like it.</STRONG>

The problem with mods in this case is that afaik a lot of them require a new world generated that includes the mod from the getgo, so you can't add in new creatures or anything else after the fact although you can alter existing ones after world generation.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

I'd be happy if it was only compatible with unmodded/similarly-modded worlds.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not difficult to set up a small itemchecking system. Items not recognized by your world could simply be removed without error before it is all rendered into your world. I wouldn't see that being a major problem.
Pages: 1 [2]