Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most-improved game of 2008  (Read 1991 times)

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The most-improved game of 2008
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:16:06 am »

According to the Big Download Blog's Best Indie Games of 2008 (http://news.bigdownload.com/gallery/best-indie-games-of-2008/1262867/):

"While originally started in 2002, Dwarf Fortress came a very long way throughout 2008. Major progress was made on the Caravan and Army Arcs, including new elements such as unique armies, trackable historical events, and a whole ton of new customization options. Dwarf Fortress has come a long way since start, and is still chugging along happily with no end in site. For being the most-improved game of 2008, Dwarf Fortress definitely deserves a spot on this list."

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: The most-improved game of 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:31 am »

I don't think the Caravan arc has started...

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:25 am »

Personally, I do not believe DF was the most improved game of 2008.   Of course, that means no game was the most improved game of 2008.  I do believe DF was the most improved of 2007 (z-axis) and will be for 2009.  Don't make me shoot you as a way of telling you why.  The method will involve a vortex of water and magma cannons, 'nuff said.
Reasons for no award for 08:  While world gen army arc is interesting, it isn't very playable.  It adds depth to the game sure, but all things considered, it is really only a precursor, one that wont shine until the next update and  probably the next big one following. (Assuming Toady stays in line with the army arc.)

Edit: I should add for higher clarity: After playing DF, quality is relative to DF in which DF is DF, there is no other.  The only way for DF to improve more than DF is if there is a very drastic upgrade, one in which we will see this coming update.  Thus the game will be improved.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:31:49 am by Kardos »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:18 am »

I don't think the Caravan arc has started...

Yeah, correct.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:32:13 pm »

Oh, I don't know, Toady did pretty much fix the health care bug that meant that injured dwarves were pretty well toast. I think that counts as a big improvement. Sure, there weren't any huge things that we can point to like the z-axis, but there were lots of little changes and fixes that I think improved the game quite a bit.

Also, while Vanilla DF didn't change too much from the changes he made with the world history stuff, it had a huge impact on mods. Now forts with multiple enemy civs around them can be assaulted by all of them, instead of just one. And, of course, that effects Vanilla games where your civ is at war with the humans or elves at the start.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:44:07 pm »

Well some aspects of the Carrivan Arc are in the current To Do list.

I wonder if the Carrivan Arc is the Arc needed to give other races artifacts.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »

Well, he did have the most improved update.

That is, dwarves went from fatal hibernators to caffine junkies in a single update.

You could also put down DF as the most ruined game of 2008.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:08:52 pm »

Well, he did have the most improved update.

That is, dwarves went from fatal hibernators to caffine junkies in a single update.

You could also put down DF as the most ruined game of 2008.

Fan of the single axis I guess.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:00:41 pm »

'Spose so....

Also, your avatar is giving me a seizure. where'd you get it?
*Stadsarts hssaking uncdaondallably*