Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Fall Trap / Water Fall Wall?  (Read 1040 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Fall Trap / Water Fall Wall?
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »

I was just thinking, it would be cool if we could make it so that when water is falling at a certain speed someone cannot cross a barrier of water without serious injury.

Just something fun also, another way to kill creatures.

If water is falling at a certain speed, your dwarfs or any characters should be aware that it would be dangerous to walk through.

However they would only try and go through it if the danger on the other side is greater then going through.

So i was thinking setup a trap room, where theres a water fall wall like this, and when a monster walks into the room or gets trapper there, have it set so there a "Moving Wall" with spikes on it, which causes fear to the monster. Forcing him to try and go through the water fall trap either way, from being pushed or going through him self.

Ok that's a bit much, but just some thoughts :)

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Fall Trap / Water Fall Wall?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:38:31 am »

Everything falls at the same rate: roughly 1 z-tile every 2 frames.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:52 am »

So...apply the same calculations used to determine if a creature has fallen far enough to be injured to determine injury caused by water or other falling objects?

After all, looked at in another way, falling is just the ground hitting you really fast.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:28:43 pm »

Wouldn't water need quite some fall distance before being able to do some heavy damage due to its speed? though I could see a large amount of water crush some ill fortuned elven caravan goblin thieves.

When I read the thread name I first thought you meant "bucket of water" version of stonefall traps.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:17:46 pm »

I was just thinking, it would be cool if we could make it so that when water is falling at a certain speed someone cannot cross a barrier of water without serious injury.
The only thing necessary is making falling objects damaging. You have pressure plates and grates, bridges or hatch covers to do the rest. At last we would have to engineer stonefall traps ourselves instead of placing them readymade.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:02:28 pm »

This would perfectly combine with the slopes idea if we could make falling objects do damage. Carve slopes down your entrance and drop logs from above, that roll down and cause light wounds? Be able to use slopes to actually direct water around? You could make a trap like yours that could use slopes to swirl around slowly towards a channel that would create a goblin-grabbing whirpool that'd drop them a couple z-levels.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.