Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skill Weapons Redux.  (Read 811 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Skill Weapons Redux.
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:33:30 am »

This may have been noticed before, but a quick search didn't find it. SO...

I discovered that you can create weapon that uses a skill (I'm not talking about the ever-awesome ranged weapon shenanegans, here), like so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will be useless for Fortress Mode, but in Adventure Mode you can now apply starting skill points to that skill. I think this is pure Awesome.

EDIT: SKILL POINTS WHICH DO NOTHING. apparently it is hardcoded that adventurers cannot ever see the value of the goods they are trading. ever. Not with appraiser, or bookkeeping or bedratted "persuasion", or even a full compliment of Broker's Skills. Never. BOOOOO.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:38:11 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Weapons Redux.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:47:34 pm »

Are you saying a 9999 damage spoon that uses the skill cooking would be useless? HORSEFLESH!
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:02:57 pm »

Are you saying a 9999 damage spoon that uses the skill cooking would be useless? HORSEFLESH!

Ok, ok, not completely useless. and you can level up your cooking, or your druidic NATUREMAGIC and your SNEAK, and your SWIMMING, and your ARMOR(which is about the coolest thing I found), and your ALCHEMY, but.... all my tests into skill weapons were dissapointing from a "pushing boundaries" standpoint. (and what is "TRACKING"?)

the ranged weapon hax are still cool, though.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »

This will be useful for another thing in fortress mode, a weapon like that uses the trained skill to determine damage, like picks with mining, this means that now your legendary (insert labour skill here) will at least be as powerful as a low level soldier. For something like the pen listed above, as record keeping trains so fast, it will take no time to train up some pen dwarves of doom, especially with the pierce option. That means you could have deadly equivalents to speardwarves in almost no time at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:35 pm »

EDIT: nevermind, you mentioned it ("it" being the ranged weapon shenanigan) in the OP.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »

Yeah, without the Ranged Weapons Hax  ( http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25746.0 ) there is no way to get them to equip. So that is all old news still.
If you make an "unarmed" ranged weapon, that uses the secondary skill - also, no equipping.

and if you create such a weapon, no sparring (that I've seen) even if you do make it so it is military equipable. Crossbow users don't train the HAMMER skill, after all, they only train on firing ranges.

The last thing I have to test - I'm going to test a "pickaxe" that uses the AXE as its ranged skill (and thus lets you cut down trees with it. proven), and also has the DIGGER tag equipped in the entity raw. Can they mine and cut down trees with no exclusion? the hand-to-hand part would be a bonus after that. I'd prolly leave it as MINING

I haven't got one for EVERY skill (...yet), But here's the example of the ranged weapon thing, Boksi did the work for making a whole bunch in the thread I linked:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

....the "throw" weapon was a dissapointment. My hunter hit things using the "throw" skill. he didn't throw it. no boomerang for me :(
[/quote]